How Thick???

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As some of you know I have been layed up for the summer and have done nothing to our veggie garden. You can't see the plants for the weeds are covering them. But we wondered out to capture some of the tomatoes from all the animals and brought home about 2 bushels. Now After cooking them down and putting them through the food mill and more cooking down, here is what I have. Thick enough for a good sauce??? Now I have to decide if I should let it go to a paste. I just may do that...I have none canned. That would be a light job for this ole gal. I have feed everything else to my chickens. Cantalope, acorn squash, zucchini, bell peppers, beans and watermellon. I will keep the onions.

So getting back to the sauce. My spoon stands up in it. Just a little more cooking will give me many quarter pints of paste.
tomato sauce.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
How long at what pressure do you have to go to can something that thick?
It looks wonderful.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always add my own canned lemon juice to all canned tomato products. I pressure can small jars at 10 pounds for 20 minutes. I am at exactly 1000 feet. Others water bath their paste for 45 minutes. Either way works.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
20160920_192732.jpg
Finally done. So it cooked down to this much. Again, it was about about 1 and half bushels when I started.

20160921_134736.jpg

I got 26 quarter pints. I am set for a few years. I also decided to pressure can them for 45 minutes to be safe. Smells good In here...

Last edited:

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No mine always turns out that way. I use a little lemon in it while cooking also. One didn't seal a and it tastes fine. I froze that in a little baggie...

Latest posts