How to grow a gigantic pumpkin?

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello This fall at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto .They were giving out giant pumpkin seeds.My daughter is thrilled ! and cannot wait to grow the BIG pumpkin !! Does anyone have any idea's how to start this adventure...we have two seeds.We live in Ontario Canada .Should I start them in the house before the last frost?and When they start growing should i pinch off all other flowers so all the good goes to the big one??

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are a couple good books on the subject. I don't remember the titles but I know our local library has one (I think it's on growing giant veggies in general). So if you googled or amazon'ed up the titles and authors, you could go to your own library and ask for Interlibrary Loan :)

Pat, who was at the Royal with the kids but wasn't offered any giant pumpkin seeds ;)

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Haahahaha .....I must have been there at the right time.....It was in the area were they had all the huge and funny looking veggies and of course the gigantic pumpkins!!!Thanks for the info again I will check into it

Chicken boy.....do you think they could be started in the house in the spring?

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OKay here it goes..........Calling all gigantic pumpkin grower's .....please please !!! give me at least one of your secret's.........We just want to try and grow one !

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You are in Canada so your growing season is a LOT shorter then chicken_boy's. So if I were you I would start indoors but no more then 3-4 weeks before your last frost date. You may want to set up a cold frame to get them out even earlier.

When you go to plant I would amend a LARGE area - say 4 feet in circumference and as deep.

I would leave 3-4 primo blossoms on and let develop when they start to form showing you some kind of shape, then I would pick the best one and yang the others.

Between liberal usage of miracle grow (or similar product),compost tea & the sunniest spot in the yard - I have no other suggestions.

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have seeds from a giant pumpkin too! I need to harvest the seeds, if they aren't already frozen. Then I'll plant them in May and see what happens!

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey ! We should make a friendly challenge come spring-Fall on who has the largest pumpkin! lol

Thanks for the great ideas ......keep those secrets coming....Do you only fertilize on a full moon?? LOL

Latest posts