How to grow apples

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
John actually made a request of me as far as my gardening goes. After canning some 20 jars of quince jelly (which he will not touch because he hates quince, even tho the jelly doesn't taste like quince) he asked me how come I didn't make any apple jelly. I told him it is because I didn't get any apples! (as if they just grown on trees, right? haha)

So, he's all indignant and says "Why don't you plant some apple trees?!" and I said "Fine! I will!"

There are a couple of varieties that grow here in the sweltering south. All the ones I looked at said they need a polinizer.

Is that like how pears need a different kind of pear nearby to produce successfully? Do I need two different kinds of apples trees or what?

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, you've got it right. Which type you need to pollinate your desired variety depends upon the variety. If you have a really good nursery in your area, they should know which apples perform best in your region and which types pollinate which.

You may try searching on-line . . . try "growing apples (your region -- ie. your state or larger region)." If you find an article using that search, it will most likely warn you about potential pests/diseases too.

Keep in mind it takes a few years to get apples, but starting with young trees is often the best plan, because they adapt better to your site.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dont forget about your local county extension office, they can help with all kinds of stuff like this

Latest posts