How to grow the biggest, the best, the HUGEST pumpkin in the world

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son saw a large pumpkin at the pumpkin patch yesterday, and now he wants to grow one. Not just any pumpkin mind you but...

The Biggest.

The Best.

THE HUGEST pumpkin in the whole world.

I figured since he saw his sunflowers all the way through we could try a pumpkin, and he can start it in my greenhouse so it can have a nice, long growing season. Any tips for an absolutely massive pumpkin?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@dewdropsinwv 's husband Monty used to compete in those giant pumpkin events. He might be lured back to TEG for continuing advice.

Me. I used to drive by a guy's garden who would enter pumpkins in the local fair ... Hardly makes me knowledgeable but I did notice that he built little structures over each pumpkin, late in each growing season.

Oh yeah, they are Atlantic Giant squash, C. maxima rather than the Jack o'lantern, C. pepo. At least, I believe they all are.

I've read just a very little about growing them for competition. Limiting blossoming, pruning vines ... Vines will root just about anywhere along their length and that was encouraged. I bet that the soil was deeply cultivated and had special treatment with fertilizers that encourages all that development of fruit. Beds carefully prepared for individual plants ...

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
very fertile soil, space, sunlight, regular moisture, work and hope...

your son's experience reminds me of the worst thing that can happen
to someone who may be addicted to gambling/aka gardening... success
on the first try. :) i'm just kidding. sort of. but really, gardening is a
challenge and character building, i hope he enjoys whichever pathways
he chooses to travel/weed. :)

i would encourage him gently at this stage to consider diversity in
plantings so all of his hopes are not in one erm, basket...

for some reason this conversation also reminds of the Peanuts Great
Pumpkin cartoon that airs this time of the year.

i'm philosophical this morning...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those 1000 pounders are of a pumpkin variety that is more like a squash. They are very soft and often rot in the garden. The champions use some sort of hammock like structure to keep them off of the ground. There was a special on growing them a few years ago that you might find on netflix.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just read about how to grow them in our local paper. A shade cloth in the summer, off the ground, three or more vines that are purposefully planted from the mother plants in order to provide more moisture and nutrients (think of how tomatillo's vines will root when placed on the ground), and lots of fertilizer.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Prune to one pumpkin to become your giant per plant. My friend always did it on a pile of rotted manure. Rotting is a problem so get it safely placed before it gets too large to man handle.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. :) He has actually started gardens before, but usually plants the seeds and abandons them to the wild. This is his first time actually caring for one.

Latest posts