How to keep cauliflower from turning brown when freezing it.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello! It's been a busy summer, and I've been away from my computer for most of it. As stated above, I would like to know how to keep my cauliflower from turning brown when I freeze it. It looks good when I pick it, OK when I blanch it, and then turns kind of a light golden brown when I freeze it. What am I doing wrong?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We usually don't freeze cauliflower, but used to add about a cup of milk to the water when we boiled it. Now we steam or roast, for cooking.

I didn't know if this would help when blanching/freezing, or if lemon juice would be better to try (we use that for apples) ... so I looked it up for some tips ...

Recipe tips.com - down at the bottom of the page is several tips.

Over cooking can cause it to lose it's color, but I have read anywhere from 90 seconds to 3 minutes for blanching, so ??

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are you freezing it in? Zip-loc's, containers, or vacuum seal? I cut mine into fairly small florets (looking carefully for caterpillars or cocoons), blanch it for 3 minutes, and vacuum seal it. It hold its color pretty well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobbi-j :frow

You are the one who likes fresh veggies best.

See, you sell your cauliflower. Keep the $ to buy cauliflower in the winter ... ;)

Steve

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I blanch it, put it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, freeze it then vacuum seal it. It turns colors during initial freezing. DigitS', I think I like your solution the best! :) It probably was over ripe when I froze it. I have also recently read that once the heads start growing, to take a clothespin and kind of shield the head by closing some of the leaves over it. It's supposed "blanch" them that way?

Last edited:

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm in the Upper Midwest. The weather can be all over the board here in the summer. Usually in the 70's - 80's in June when the cauliflower is growing. It cam be humid or not so humid, temps getting into the 90's or higher at times. Last year was a little dry, this year was beautiful. The cauliflower in my greenhouse was the size of a volleyball by the end of June. Admittedly, I don't know when the ones out in my garden ripened or how big they got because DH and I were on vacation. Family and friends were asked to come help themselves to the garden so it didn't go to waste. I think my mother grabbed the cauliflower. I'll have to ask her. You should try growing it. The worst that can happen is, it won't grow.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many cauliflowers are self blanching. I have found that initial seed selection is the secret to great cauliflower. I could not grow it for years until I starting using seed recommended for the northeast. 2 great years in a row. Next year try a couple different varieties and see what works best.
huge cauliflower.jpg

Latest posts