How to plant this...?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Torn between filling with dirt or filling with gravel & just leaving the plants potted.

image.jpg

Was going to keep it simple with million bells this year to start.

Yes it's galvanized but for $12 @ TSC I couldn't pass it up. Should age well. I used this angle so everybody could see the opening. Going to punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage. Should look really nice.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice! I'd use potting soil. I wouldn't keep the plants in their original pots (if that's what you meant). They will get root bound instantly and look poorly.

Sedums would be a nice candidate for that too.
I bought a container last year that looks like a watering can but isn't functional and it was planted with sedums. :)
I let it winter on the patio which was probably a bad idea. Soon I should know if anything survived.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to put an inch or two of coarse gravel in the bottom of my planters for good drainage. Then I'd put a layer of newspaper to keep the dirt from leaching out, then the potting soil, then poke the plants in.

I see you got your little helpers their own princess watering can too. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue lobelia! It will spill over the side of that like a wave. I do the same as Journey...I usually will put some gravel in the bottom of a planter.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooohhh...drools :drool Now I am going to have to come up with some excuse to go to TSC :barnie

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wish we had a TSC near here! Fleet Farm had some reasonable, but I like that one better. I have an old galvanized can, just can't bring myself to put holes in it.

Agree with @thistlebloom , plants would be happier out of the pot, the opening may not be large enough for a good size pot ... ?

Love million bells! ... also trailing blue lobelia (just seeded some this AM) especially for the part shade, where I have most of my pots.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watering cans are my favorite! I have a bunch of "antique" ones that I always imagine I will fill up with something...so far, not so much! Show us some pics of yours filled- maybe it will motivate me!

Latest posts