How to preserve Basil

lavacaw

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The first few times I tried growing basil (yeah, some of us take longer to learn things) I kept reading that it should be pinched back by one third after planting. I couldn't bring myself to decimate my plants. They never seemed to grow well. Then I tried doing what the experts said. The more I pinched it back, the more it seemed to grow. I can say from experience that you can pinch them back by 1/3 without killing them!:throw I chop them with olive oil and put in ice trays and dump them frozen into a ziploc to use as needed.

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks chicken_boy. Great idea. I just thought it would rot after awhile. I'll try it tonight.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My stepmom, who is VERY Italian, just simply put it in a plastic bag and directly into the freezer. She did the same with Flat-leaf Italian parsley too. Of course, she just was gonna use them in sauce or lasagne filling or pesto, so it didn't matter what they looked like frozen. She would just take some frozen out and break it up (still frozen) directly into the sauce or whatever.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
adeledamate said:
Thanks chicken_boy. Great idea. I just thought it would rot after awhile. I'll try it tonight.
It will rot if the water isn't changed often.
Today I made a beautiful herb bouquet. With some roses.
Most herbs actually smell better preserved this way because of the roots. :rose

Latest posts