How would I freeze carrots for stews ??

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How should I freeze carrots for stews that I will make this fall?

Par-boil first? For how long?

or

?????

Thank you.
Anne

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have room in your fridge (or an extra one) you can easily store carrots until fall. Mine lasted well into spring. You just need to keep them dry. I fill a large baggy with carrots (unwashed, unpeeled) and put a couple paper towels inside the bag to absorb moisture. I don't seal the bag tightly. I loose a few, but for the most part they are fine.
Haven't frozen any- looking forward to hearing others ideas. I have also stored carrots in sand in the basement, with mixed results...

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but I think they'll get mushy if you freeze them.

I second lesa, they keep for ages in a cool dry place. (Bonus: they get sweeter in cold storage, Cooks Illustrated just had an article about this.)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've blanched them and frozen them for long term storage. They are not for fresh eating after you freeze them but are OK for cooking and would do for a stew or soup. Veggie soup is how I used my frozen carrots. I took this from an Illinois extension site. Hope it helps.

3.Water blanch small whole carrots for 5 minutes, diced or sliced 2 minutes and lengthwise strips 2 minutes.

4.Cool promptly in ice water for 5 minutes, drain and package leaving 1/2- inch head space. Seal in zip closure freezer bags and freeze.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I've blanched them and frozen them for long term storage. They are not for fresh eating after you freeze them but are OK for cooking and would do for a stew or soup. Veggie soup is how I used my frozen carrots. I took this from an Illinois extension site. Hope it helps.

3.Water blanch small whole carrots for 5 minutes, diced or sliced 2 minutes and lengthwise strips 2 minutes.

4.Cool promptly in ice water for 5 minutes, drain and package leaving 1/2- inch head space. Seal in zip closure freezer bags and freeze.
Thank you so much. ;)

Latest posts