Howdy from Minnesota

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello all, I registered yesterday, missed this board to Intro, so here goes...
The Wife and I live in southern Minnesota, about an hour south of Minneapolis...

We garden organically, and specialize in Heirloom crops, and Super hot Peppers, including the Bhut Jolokia..(pictured in my avatar) a.k.a "GHOST PEPPER"
(Guinness World Records Hottest Pepper) for now anyway :lol:

we have a 7000 square foot main garden; then several other small gardens of herbs (culinary and medicinal), perennials and small "ISOLATED" plantings of HOT peppers ..
(isolated to preserve the seed purity)

Found this board "googling" for a use for over grown beans...we missed a couple pickin's due to the darn RAIN...
that seems lately to Never stop...
sinking.gif

reckon the rain will stop soon tho..cause it'll be
snow.gif

Glad I found Ya all
yo.gif

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome to our gardens. I wish I knew what happened to my hot peppers this year. They bore a lot of peppers but none of them had any heat. Even my jalapenos and Thai peppers had no bite.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
hello pharmerphil thankyou for the welcome on my post. I have lurked here for awhile before joining and noticed that there are alot of folks here with lots of knowledge that they enjoy sharing. I am hoping to cash in on others experiance to make our gardening easier. We have periniel gardens but we also want to start veg gardens also. It sounds like you have alot of experiance already and thier are alot of folks needing it so you will fit right in. :welcome

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
pharmerphil :welcome.

Love to hear more about your peppers.

Amongst others, we grow Habenero here, which when i first tasted one it nearly blew my head off, and I obviously mistakenly thought they were the hottest peppers.

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Warthog said:
pharmerphil :welcome.

Love to hear more about your peppers.

Amongst others, we grow Habenero here, which when i first tasted one it nearly blew my head off, and I obviously mistakenly thought they were the hottest peppers.
First let me say Warthog that I'd LOVE to be in Belize...never been there...always wanted to be...
Now about theHottest pepper claim...
well, Red Caribbean Habanero was the world's hottest until 2007, Then came the Bhut Jolokia or Ghost pepper...recently another pepper has been reported as being HOTTER...than the Bhut Jolokia, this one is called "Infinity"
I haven't tried this one as of this writing.

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome...
Hoodat, we had some thai's that came out mild to no heat last season. However, last season (2009) was the coolest summer we've had in a long time, maybe that was it...?
Every other variety was up to par on the heat level
This year we had a HOT summer for Minnesota, one of the hottest in quite a spell, and the peppers..are VERY hot this year:thumbsup
we raise many types along with the Bhut Jolokia's...
Maybe I can get my wife to join here...She has only been gardening since we met (2003), but she's been a very good student, and has learned quickly...becoming quite a pepper head too
she can list every type out there...I'm just the gardener :old

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Pharmerphil and :welcome ! :frow

Nice intro! I'm sure you'll have lots to bring to the forum.

Have fun!

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wowser, it's been a long time (and a couple computer crashes) since I HAVE BEEN HERE..READING THIS THREAD, WE NOW HAVE OVER 12,000 SQ. FEET (oOpS CAP LOCKS ON) planted...and have been raising over 200 plants of the Carolina Reaper Pepper...
The wife has added even more "value added" items to our market table. She produces Ghost pepper infused Caramels, Carolina Reaper caramels..
we have upped the types of Hot Salsas to 3 main varieties.

Those Ghost pepper caramels..They..are great! You get the taste of fantastic homemade-butter rich caramel first..then a little HEAT..towards the back of the tongue..PERFECT..
The Carolina Reaper caramels...
Myself..WAY too hot...You get the HEAT..right away..
I told Laura (my Wife) that they would..NEVER SELL..
She sold 80 of them the first day...out selling the ghost pepper caramels by twice the amount...I'm sometimes just wrong LOL
well I better look around here a bit....