Howdy...I'm New Here

DesertGrown

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello from the Desert Southwest...Tucson, AZ to be exact. I'm a new member to this site although I've been viewing it for months. I'm also a member of BYC. I love to garden and raise chickens. I'm glad to finally be able to join in on all the fun gardening talk.

DesertGrown

Sprout
Reaction score
My garden is my favorite place to be. Mostly raised beds as the soil in my yard is very alkaline and rocky. I haven't yanked the summer vegetables yet because the temperature hasn't dropped below freezing. Picked some yellow pear cherry tomatoes this morning. Still waiting for a few bell peppers to turn red before I pick them. Also have a Native American Watermelon on the vine. Got the seeds from Native Seed Search Store. They grow and save seeds from the Native Americans in this area.

I also have several fruit trees; Apple, Nectarine, Plum, Peach, Mango, Mandarins and Orange, Grape Vines, Strawberries, Melons. A little bit of everything. I just love knowing where my food comes from, and that it is pesticide free.

Believe it or not there was a great big in ground swimming pool where my garden/trees are now. I had it broken up and filled in back in 2006.

In the summer I grow: tomatoes (all different varieties), peppers, melons, herbs, squash (for the chickens), gourds and green beans.

In the winter: snow peas, sugar snaps, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, carrots, kale and other greens for the chickens.

I'll post photos as soon as I'm allowed to:)

DesertGrown

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I feel home already.