Huge Dandelion Greens (PIX)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For some reason I have the most huge dandelions this year!! Which is great because they are my chickens favorite snack at the moment!!

Mar2009Dandeliongreensemail.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok that is just creepy huge. If mine got that large I wouldn't know what to do... my lawn mower wouldn't have a chance. Which reminds me, its time to start collecting them with my daughter for the chickens. She'll fill baskets of them!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are shooting up flower heads now, and they are about to my waist!! Very tiny flowers, but HUGE leaves!! Must be lots of nitrogen, they are in the Citrus bed, which has a fair amount of tree food. That probably explains the giant leaf size.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, those are good eating! A little sauteed onion, cider vinegar/sugar vinaigrette, olive oil, black pepper... Can't wait for our dandelions to start.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, I have never saw any that big, would be much tempted to eat them as Rosalind said.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wonder if they would really be any good to eat since they are so HUGE! The best dandelion is usually small and tender isn't it?

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep just cut that rib out, and let us know. I was looking at mine today and they are pitifull. Time they were cooked down maybe an spoon full. LOL

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never eaten dandelion greens. But, with so many that are so huge, I might just give it a try...That is if the chickens will share!!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my grandmother sauted them in butter and onion and made a gravy with them. I never tried the greens but the gravy was delish. My grandfather would roam the yard with a baggie and pocket knife but he liked the small young ones. Theres still a church here that has a dandelion dinner every spring.

Latest posts