Hummingbird nest

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wenesday morning (May 7, 2008) I noticed a hummingbird making a nest on one of the wind chimes hanging from the front porch. It is right by the front door of the house. I do hope we don't frighten her with our comings and goings during the day.

May82008nest02lightercloseup.jpg

When I went out to take a picture of the nest, she came back with a bit of material to add to the nest. I was standing right by the front door ready to go in when she returned. She just sat there looking at me. She goes back and forth every couple of minutes. She is only on the nest about 30 seconds then is off again to get more building materials.

May82008birdonnestcloseup.jpg

I put a small feeder up yesterday so once she has eggs she won't have to leave the nest for long to get something to eat.

May82008nestandfeedercloseup.jpg

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How cool is that? Every female hummingbird I've ever had around prefers to nest off in the trees somewhere. :p

Thanks for sharing the photos and the story! Keep us updated on how the babies come along!

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Awesome! I always wanted to see one. How lucky you are!
Enjoy.:rainbow-sun

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! How cool! Thank you for sharing. We LOVE hummers.

My husband gets them to land on his fingers at the feeders. He is more patient than me.

Latest posts