Hummingbird!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In an unusual fit of optimism last week I put a hummingbird feeder out. I usually don't see any till at least April 15, but I figured they were around earlier, I just don't see them. Today, after snow this morning, a cold north wind and maybe high of 45, I glance at the feeder and there is a hummingbird! It drank a little and headed east, but at least it knows where the grub is now.
My faith in Mother Nature is restored once again.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I need to put mine out! We seem to catch them as they migrate south. I leave the feeder up until it is plain there are no more for the year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just can't imagine having them all year round. Annette, are there enough blooming things all year long to support hummingbirds on Vancouver Island? Obviously there must be.
I did see another hummer this morning, a male. I'm so glad I put the feeder out early. Bay, you'd better get yours out. I bet they are wondering about you this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked at the map for our region. They are over on the coast, but none sighted this far north and inland yet. I think they are usually here about the middle of April. I should get the feeders out and start hanging them up this week just in case.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@so lucky they eat insects for the most part but I have a winter flowering viburnum and I've even seen them at my winter flowering jasmine. In freezing weather we have two feeders on the go, when one starts to freeze we bring it in and change with the other, we bring the feeder in at night and put it back out in the morning. The little hummers are all sitting on branches just waiting to dive in. They're smart little cookies too, if they come up to our dining room window and hover, they're telling us their feeder is empty.
Although the Anna's have wintered on Vancouver Island for a long time and here since the 70's, it was only one specific little spot in our city they wintered. It's only been the last 10 years we've had them in our garden.

I miss the swallows, we used to have both the violet greens and the tree swallows nest in our garden, haven't even seen one in years, I even miss the messy barn swallows, miss their diving and swooping around, but they built their nests in the most undesirable spots.
Lots of birds we used to have around here have disappeared, on the other hand birds we have never seen and have not identified yet are turning up.

Annette

Latest posts