Hummingbirds

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We put up a hummingbird feeder last week. They kept buzzing the red crepe myrtles by the house, waiting to be planted. We know it is the end of their season, as they are migrating, but maybe our feeder will help them along their way.

We have the feeder placed where we can see it from our recliners. A tiny female showed up this afternoon. Instead of dive bombing, coming in for a landing, taking a deep drink and speeding off, she stayed on the perch. She fluffed her feathers, swaying gently and has stayed all afternoon. She is quick to chase off the other Hummers, and comes right back. From time to time she takes a long drink.

The poor little thing just seems to be tired. Maybe she has already come a long way and needs a rest. She has been perched on the feeder for three hours. We've never seen a hummingbird sit still for so long. She has drank like a camel. It's starting to get dark and she's still there, drinking and resting.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just think, you may have saved her life by having that feeder up. I know they normally get food from many sources, but a lot of those sources are not in season right now.
But Bay, you need to put another feeder up for the rest of the hummers she won't allow to feed at "her" feeder.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are fun to watch.

How is hubby doing?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn hubby is doing good. He is going to physical therapy 3 times a week. He feels good, but is following Dr's orders. He can't wait to drive and sit in front seat again.

We'll put up another feeder in the spring, right now the one we have seems to be adequate. Hummingbirds are like raccoons. When they find a great place to eat, they tell all their friends.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hummers are the best. Ours have all left, and the feeders are put away until next spring.
Poor little darlin'! Maybe she was one of mine and stopped by to check out your new place. I'm sure she heard of all your good cooking and hospitality ... ;)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think all of our hummers are ready to head south, too. We can usually tell by the way they cluster around our feeders. Much more than during the hot months of July and August.

But we have a House Wren pair who just made a nest in a hanging basket on our porch a few weeks ago. Now there are 4 tiny babies in there only a couple days old. I wonder if they will make it through the winter.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet Hummer. I miss ours already. They where not real plentiful this summer. But now I only see one or 2 a day. Soon they will be all moved south. @Smiles Jr. I love our wrens. I do not think we have ever had them have babies this late! They do mature FAST and will probably be o.k.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey @Smiles, it would be fun to put out some meal worms for the parents to feed their babies. You may as well start raising meal worms on your farm. They are fun to feed to chicks, too. And bluebirds, and....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She finally left that intoxicating red elixir of yumminess last night right before dark. She was back at Baymule's Hummer Spa and Bar at first light this morning. Still camping out on the perch taking deep drinks from the fabulous plastic flowers. She is a little livelier this morning, we can tell she's feeling refreshed. Wonder how long she'll stick around.

Latest posts