Hunt, Tx

franko

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Northwest of San Antonio 78 miles. We call it the heart of the hill country. I moved here in 1982 because there are no curbs and one filling station.

franko

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Still true, well allmost, someone built a 10x12 taco stand down by the low water crossing. Haven't tried it yet. I forgot, we have one other small resturant and our school. A few people from Calf moved here the last 5 years. But it's slowed down. Some have moved away because they found out what cedar fever is. What I have really noticed is the lack of wet's. They use to come up to my place in groups of 8 to 10 and work for $8.00 a day and meals back in the 80's early 90's. Most were not in very good shape from the long walk. Some used tire tread for shoes. They would work, rest and mend, then move on to go north. Not as many around now and they want $10.00 an hour. For what it's worth department , since this site is about gardening, when I started my garden, my neighbor down the road took his dump truck and backhoe and we went to the old livestock arena and loaded up on the best soil to make my garden. I have never regreted that trip. My next project is a greenhouse. Franko

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome Franko :frow. Please do tell us, What is Cedar Fever? I've never heard of it.

franko

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Cedar fever comes from the Juniperus Ashei, better known as a plain old cedar tree. Patricia Sharpe describes it best "The signs are unmistakable: the eyes burn and turn fiery red; the nose runs; the insides of the ears itch. Incessant sneezing--up to
two or three hundred times a day--leaves some victims exhausted. On top of this, an insidious malaise sets in, making it hard to do anything but stare vacantly at the wall, while at the same time a nagging little voice says, "Get up. It's just an allergy." Starts in Dec and goes on till end of Feb. This season is supposed to be the worst on record because we had so much rain first part of the year.
The saying "take it like a man" does not apply in this instance. Some of the oldtimers eat a few barries of the tree and that tries to help the immune system. franko

franko

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yes, it is allergy. What is " Autumn Harvest farm". Is that the name of your farm? sounds good what ever it is.