Hydrangeas Mislabeled?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I purchased 2 Hydrangea trees from home depot. Both where labeled Fireworks. I planted both in containers using same soil. One flowered much earlier then other, i didn't think much at time. Now I noticed the flower color is different. One to flower 1st has pink tint, other looks like will be white. Dont remember if first flowered white then changed to pink . Now wondering if same variety
DSCF0778.JPG
DSCF0781.JPG
DSCF0779.JPG
I know label mix ups happen bad photos sorry

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Pinkie Winkie hydrangea starts out white and later turns pink. Possibly the one is just a little behind on flowering.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I purchased 2 Hydrangea trees from home depot. Both where labeled Fireworks. I planted both in containers using same soil. One flowered much earlier then other, i didn't think much at time. Now I noticed the flower color is different. One to flower 1st has pink tint, other looks like will be white. Dont remember if first flowered white then changed to pink . Now wondering if same varietyView attachment 15322 View attachment 15323 View attachment 15325 I know label mix ups happen bad photos sorry
It looks like they just bloomed at different times.
Home Depot plants....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The blooms on that pink one don't match the pictures I looked at for Fireworks. Those are supposedly white double star shaped blooms.

Could be there are more than one variety of hydrangeas named Fireworks. I would kind of doubt that, but it does seem to at least be mislabeled.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Consider that now you can take cuttings of the one you want in front and also have another beautiful hydrangea. They grow pretty fast so you could have a matched set in little time.

Or consider that they look matched when not in bloom so there's a double surprise when they do flower.