Hydrangeas

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
C4F8C9D1-0E70-48D8-8A33-2F313FA35EDA.jpeg The Heathen and I are visiting friends from n Lebanon, OR and have been bowled over by the astonishingly beautiful hydrangeas all over this town!!! I have failed was th them multiple time in zone 7 California. My coveting level have hit expert this week

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hydrangeas, did someone mention hydrangeas, another one of my favorites, a couple of mine.
DSCN6697.JPG.jpg
Golden Crane, this one has a fragrance.
Hydrangea 'Golden Crane'.png
Close up of the flower head (not my Pic)

DSCN5532.JPG
Aspera, grew this one from a cutting.

DSCN6703.JPG
Miss Saori, burgundy foliage, second year in.
Hydrangea 'Miss Sao.png
flower (not my Pic) pink picotee edging, bloom fades to all pink as it ages.

And this one Ayesha with it's tiny florets.
DSCN1094.JPG
This is the one I was talking about in another thread. flowers were stolen late September, we had an early freeze not a frost the beginning of October, this is what it looked like...
DSCN5819.JPG
No flowers the following year, this is why you DON'T cut the old flower heads off until the following spring. Alas I no longer have this one, had to be removed when we had a new water line put in. I did strike some cuttings but unfortunately they got weeded out when I had someone clean up the bed I had them in, not saying who. I haven't been able to find a replacement for it so far, it was a favorite of mine.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that a pink AND blue flowered plant in the picture, Petey'?

DW has one like that under the living room window. One special plant among several.

@aftermidnight , some of those are quite unusual! Do you know the variety names?

Yes, DW thinks hydrangeas are the cat's pyjamas .. ;).

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' The first one is Hydrangea angustipetala 'MonLongShou' also known as 'Golden Crane' I cut and pasted this description...
This rare and precocious shrub, with large lacecaps of white and chartreuse not only blooms in late spring - among the earliest of all hydrangeas to bloom - but is sweetly scented, a trait very rare in this genus. The jasmine-like scent will perfume an entire garden! A superb selection by Dan Hinkley from seed collected in Sichuan Province, China.

The second one is H. 'Aspera' is a species from the Himalayas, across southern China, to Taiwan. My cutting was from a U.B.C. plant sale many years ago. Took years before I saw a bloom.

The third one 'Miss Saori' named plant of the year at the Chelsea flower show in 2014, I bought it at a specialty nursery the fall of 15, the owner brought a few in from the UK, I believe the first ones to come across the pond. I had to reserve and pay for it in advance. Bred in Japan, it's unique two-tone double white edged red flowers are most unusual, but as I said they fade to a pastel pink.

The last one 'Ayesha' I bought locally it's flowers can be blue,pink or somewhere in between depending what type of soil they're growing in. One year it had some blue, some pink and some mauve all at the same time, actually quite pretty.

Annette

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew hydrangeas in Angels Camp. The deer loved them. I did keep an Oak Leaf hydrangea on my deck and I even moved it up here to Grants Pass. I find them easy to grow.

Latest posts