I agree that the recent post about storing plants was a scammer BUT

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
... I have watched many seasons of "This Old House" where they have removed plants close to the foundation and kept them for months so that they could replant them on the property after the construction if finished. I thought it would be worth talking about how YOU have done this.
I will start:
I have bought several fruit trees in the last decade from box stores on CLEARANCE. It can sometimes be a little late to put the tree into the ground so I potted them in a pot about this size:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bloem-2...lled-Rim-Plastic-Planter-20-6012289/301861511
Mine had a hole in the bottom and came with a large plastic saucer of sorts. I buried it in the vegetable garden in November without the saucer, which I stored, heavily mulched the top and every time my tree survived. The last tree I overwintered was my Magnolia Jane. I saw the buds start to swell in the Spring and that is when I moved it.
I had used another plastic pot withOUT a hole and the tree that I buried in it rotted out.
What are your solutions?

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you,

i don't often have to move or store things from one space to another. the last time i moved anything here was some daffodils that needed to be raised up a bit because they were in a spot that was too wet for them to do well.

i made the mistake some years ago of digging up a bunch of crocus bulbs and putting them in one garden (where they looked great when they flowered the next spring) but then right when i was about to move them back the chipmunks almost cleared them out. i think out of a few hundred bulbs i had a dozen left. :(

we have transplanted a few hundred cedar trees and white pine seedlings but we don't much care if a few don't make it. there's always plenty more coming along. the hard thing with the cedars is that the rabbits and deer will trim them back if they are not protected during the harsher winters with deeper snow cover.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I overwinter my banana plants. In October I dig them up, wrap them in burlap and keep them in a dark but room temp place in my house spraying them a few times to make sure it doesn't totally dry out. Ideally if I had a heated outbuilding that I kept in the 40s that would be perfect, but oh well.

I plant them again in the spring :)

Attachments

• 20171009_173117.jpg
    20171009_173117.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 245

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I overwinter my banana plants. In October I dig them up, wrap them in burlap and keep them in a dark but room temp place in my house spraying them a few times to make sure it doesn't totally dry out. Ideally if I had a heated outbuilding that I kept in the 40s that would be perfect, but oh well.

I plant them again in the spring :)
Are the reddish ones a different kind?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the obvious question, do you ever get nanners from them? :)

Ha! Not yet, but after we moved last year I lost a bunch of them with the hectic storage of things in our new house (got too cold where I put them) and only two of my Manzanos survived. I will up my game this year.

Under good conditions plants will take about 15 months to reach a point where they can fruit. After that it could take another 5 or 6 months for the fruit to ripen

I am trying a new variety this year for some fun :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Not yet, but after we moved last year I lost a bunch of them with the hectic storage of things in our new house (got too cold where I put them) and only two of my Manzanos survived. I will up my game this year.

Under good conditions plants will take about 15 months to reach a point where they can fruit. After that it could take another 5 or 6 months for the fruit to ripen

I am trying a new variety this year for some fun :)

:) that's the spirit! :) i kinda figured you were just happy to have them and they have such distinctive foliage. i remember seeing the first castor bean plant and it was "Wow!" :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:) that's the spirit! :) i kinda figured you were just happy to have them and they have such distinctive foliage. i remember seeing the first castor bean plant and it was "Wow!" :)

That's basically it. I plant them all around our patio. This year I'll try to.get 20 in the ground