I am going back to work

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I start a new job today. Yup, going back to work. Last year was a financial disaster. The truck went into the shop 4 times, the bills were $2,000+ and the last breakdown was $4500. The car broke down, more $$$, and the Kawasaki mule broke down-just the parts were $2,000. With the first breakdown, we put it on a credit card to spread out the cost over several months, which normally would work out just fine. but the hits just kept coming. At one time, the only thing running was the tractor and we joked about riding that to town.

In November, my husband had cataract surgery. There were 3 tiers of lenses. The first tier, Medicare and the supplement would pay 100%. The 2nd tier corrected a little more, the 3rd tier corrected the stigmatism and long and short distance vision. He wanted thee 3rd tier so badly, but was going to settle for tier #1 because of cost. This was a one time surgery, no going back later to redo it and get the upgrade. I insisted that he get Tier #3 because it would improve the rest of his life. The price tag was $5,000. Yeah, ouch.

ONE crisis we could have handled, even two, but we kept getting sh!t at and hit.

We have argued about me getting a job to get things paid off. We are making more than the payments, but owing that much money puts me in a very bad mood. It will take too long to get things back to where I am happy. We did not want to sell assets and now with the stock market in the toilet, I wouldn't take the loss anyway. I am not one to dither about whining, so finally I made an appointment for a job interview and TOLD my husband, this is what I am going to do. I was hired. I go in today from 1-4 for training.

I will be working in an assisted living facility in a nearby town. With the covid-19 virus going around, what a stroke of luck. I will be in a lockdown situation and not having the public breathing, coughing and sneezing in my face all day. I figure I will work for the next 6 months or so. It will be hard, we are raising 50 Cornish Cross chicks, 2 feeder pigs, a big garden and I will have lots to do. BJ is on board and will do all he can to help me. We will get this done.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have done the same thing as you Bay. I hate debt and it looming over me. Because of your energy and determination I have all the confidence in the world that you will be able to juggle all those things. Congrats on the new job and hope you don't fall in love with it and it becomes permanent.

Just get plenty of sleep and eat healthy. And of course, keep washing those hands!

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to wish that you do love your job and people. Then it’s not a job. It’s why we can never take anything for granted as things happen. I took a part time job when I quit full time. At first because I needed something to do but the extra money is coming n handy now.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Bay. You and others are taking the hard yet right road for now. The interest rate plunge yesterday will bring on a recession later this year, I'm sure. So work while healthy, get the bills paid off sooner and then when they are down to zero and you've got some savings stacked up under the mattress, hunker down again.

I was so hoping to be hired by the Census but they've never contacted me. I am thinking of a part time job beyond my mystery shopping to be able to tide myself over until my SS at 66 and 2 months of age.

Vent, lean, and whatever else you need to do with us here at the forum. We care and are strong and can help you carry your load anytime.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, you're not going back to work, you're just adding a new job to your list.
It will be a crunch for sure, but you can see the other side. With your empathy, compassion and humor you are going to be a wonderful asset. God bless you, you will be bringing a lot of energy and laughter to a lot of people.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Y'all are the best! Thanks for all the support. I went in today and was told that she made a mistake and training is tomorrow. She was terribly embarrassed, I felt sorry for her. She is a young woman and has a lot to learn about people, but she will get there. So I go in tomorrow.

Latest posts