I am going to complain about my vegetable garden more often.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I complained a while back that my peppers were not setting fruit. Went our a few days later and found a small one for my salad. Well now I am busy freezing another mother lode of peppers. I am trying the suggestion of freezing them uncooked. My only complaint is they are taking up a lot of room. I think I will have enough room however. I have lovely red Fushimi peppers courtesy of Hotpepperqueen from several years ago. I saved some store bought winter thick walled pepper seed and they grew wonderfully. I did not think my season was long enough for them. I have other giant peppers whose name I cannot remember along with some very nice sweet green and red peppers.

I also complained about not having eggplant...a few days later my 4 year old grandson came strolling out of the garden with a big grin on his face with a lovely purple fruit and more have followed. So complaining to you has been working out for me.

So here it goes. You may recall by belly aching about the woodchuck having eaten by broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage plants. I replanted and they are large and lovely but, not setting any heads. It does not look like they will. So I AM VERY MAD ABOUT THAT!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
CAT_1990.jpg
CAT_1993.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It always seems my peppers do better in the fall. Which is surprising, since they like it hotter than everything else does to germinate. I have frozen some in the past, never blanching them either. I usually just dehydrate and pulse them in the blender now, to use in chili, etc. I have found they need an airtight jar and I freeze them a few days after they dry to be sure no bugs get in them. Not sure if they come along when they're fresh or if they find them in the pantry. Even the hot ones they'll get into.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It always seems my peppers do better in the fall. Which is surprising, since they like it hotter than everything else does to germinate. I have frozen some in the past, never blanching them either. I usually just dehydrate and pulse them in the blender now, to use in chili, etc. I have found they need an airtight jar and I freeze them a few days after they dry to be sure no bugs get in them. Not sure if they come along when they're fresh or if they find them in the pantry. Even the hot ones they'll get into.
They do like the heat but they need a long growing season. I hardly had any peppers when I used to buy plants. I grow my seedlings long and large indoors. Still they were a bit late this summer. So you like them dehydrated best?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do like the heat but they need a long growing season. I hardly had any peppers when I used to buy plants. I grow my seedlings long and large indoors. Still they were a bit late this summer. So you like them dehydrated best?

I think the flavor carries over better dry, like a spice. The sweet reds or greens I don't chop very small, but I like the hot ones completely powdered. If I use them from frozen, it's better in things like casseroles or soups where the softer texture isn't a problem. If I had my druthers, I like them best fresh with dip. :) My brother-in-law eats hot peppers on the side with his meals, like some people would a spring onion. :confused:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What ever it takes, Cat'!!

Shake 'em . Snarl at 'em! Dig a hole in the garden and whisper into it innuendoes and lies about 'em!

Whine to us; we can take it ... in fact, other than some Calabrese broccoli I grew, like, once -- I have never had a late broccoli harvest until the rabbits ate every leaf of my plants one spring! They came back late as strong healthy plants with nice heads! Makes me want to sample young broccoli leaves in a stir-fry myself!

Speaking of stir-fries: the Fushimi peppers are perfect for that.

:) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful peppers Cat! My peppers always seem to do well, which keeps me from being depressed about the stuff that doesn't.
I dehydrate and freeze. The dehydrated ones we shake on our pizza, mostly. I cut the rest of the fresh ones into rings and freeze flat on a baking sheet, then put into quart size ziploc bags. These are good tossed into just about everything, my husband likes a handful cooked alongside his hash browns. I grow mostly hots.