I can not find my culinary rose thread :( but I have a score and need

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HELP!

my friend brought a perfect smelling rose in to work the other day and it is the best one I have ever smelled! I know it will work perfectly for making dishes that need rose essence in them and I can use them to make rosewater as well ...

she said "I will dig up the bush and bring it in for you" well I am afraid! I told her I would be happy with a cutting but there is no stopping this little woman when she is on a mission and every day she is bringing me a rose to dry :)

so please tell me when and how to dig this rose up and move it because between the two of us we have no clue

yes I could google it ..but I have not talked to any of you in so long I want you guys to tell me what and how to do this

thanks!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

It's me! LOL

You know, this is very simple, and it is very safe and should not cause any harm. Actually this is the perfect time of the year too!

Your friend can simply spade into the ground around the rose about 12-18 inches (depending on how much rootball she wants to capture). Cut around the bush with a slight inward angle under the bush, any resistance can be cut with a bit more weight. Most rose roots are tender enough to severe easily.

After spading the rootball, she can grab the base with gloves and give the bush a rocking. This will dislodge it and also enable her to find any missed connected roots. A pair of snips will help if there are any attached roots. Then lift out of the ground.

She can then wrap the rootball to keep the soil from breaking away with an old cut pillowcase or a burlap bag. Even a plastic garbage bag would do for transport.

She should cut back all the over growth and dead branches, but not a full pruning. This you will do come Spring just as it is waking up.

For you, having your hole dug and ready; once the rose arrives then pop it in the ground and water it in. It will do fine! Then leave it alone and water it when needed. It is now relocated!

Easy as Pie! :thumbsup

and also take the cut overgrowth parts and use them to try to root in a coldframe mason jar at the same time!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yeah,

Also, if your friend does this and as she is lifting it out of the ground the soil should happen to fall away from the roots. Tell her not to worry. It has happened to me on occasion. I go to carefully remove a rootball only to have it break apart leaving me grasping a full bush and root and no soil! :ep

It might be a good idea to have a 5 gallon planting bucket with her just in case. This way if it crumbles on her (depending on her soil and how moist it is or isn't) she can then place the rose in the bucket and just fill the soil it had in with it. Tell her not to water it, just as it is, as long as the roots are covered with soil it will be fine. Then when you get it and plant it, use the same soil and or what ever you are supplementing it with and then water it in.

No biggie, seriously, you will only see wilt if it has new growth, and that will just be sacrificed anyways!

:watering

Ron

Latest posts