I can't fig-ure this out.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The brown turkey fig trees have several figs that MAY be ripe. Does this look like it is ripe? If not, how can I tell when it is? I don't want to waste one to find out.
jackb

figure.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just ate a ripe one yesterday, you have time.
Thanks, these will be my first; the tree has had fruit before, but they dropped off before getting ripe. I recently met a grower in Bennington, VT who told me the tree would not produce a fig until it was four years old, so I have been expecting these to fall off. That said, they are larger and the skin looks far different than the first figs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you! Figs are so good. Here, they grow from a cutting stuck in the ground. I guess they are harder to grow in N.Y.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you! Figs are so good. Here, they grow from a cutting stuck in the ground. I guess they are harder to grow in N.Y.
The guy I spoke to in Bennington was selling trees at the garlic fest. He was charging sixty five dollars each for trees little more than a foot tall. Also, I have seen them for sale at close to that price at other places. I just gave one to a friend who is moving to Florida, as I am running out of space. Somewhere I had read that figs are easy to propagate, but as I have more than enough I don't want to try propagating them.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'd like to get a cutting or two sometime but need to have my projects done so i have a place to put them.

@jackb it's looking good! hope you get to try it soon!

Latest posts