I can't find clearjell

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a canning recipe that calls for clearjell and I can't find it anywhere. I know that its a cornstarch for canning but I don't know if there is anything that can be substituted. I figure I can probably order it online but that will take a while. Any thoughts? Thank you.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have you tried looking in a healthfood store, a kitchen supply store or the natural foods section of your grocery store? I know that King Arthur Flour makes it, or they used to. It is some kind of a cornstarch thickener, but I'm not sure if you can sub regular cornstarch or not.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe this would help?

Link

It mentions cake decorator and candy making supply stores. I hope this helps. :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much,:) it recommends checking out a cake and candy decorating supply store and I just happen to be going tomorrow to get some flavoring oils so I will see if they have it.
I have a great recipe that I want to try. Its for chunky mustard pickles.I love different flavored pickles.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope you find it there; and please let us know how those pickles taste! :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went to the cake decorating store and the health food stores like they tell you online and came up empty handed.
The manager at the health food store felt bad about my mission to find this stuff and looked online to see if her could get it in. Turns out that it is only sold commercially to bakeries and not available at all to consumers.
They wouldn't even let him open an account to order it because they only deal with the bakeries.
So my only hope is to throw myself on the mercy of my local bakery.
Usually I give up and move on but I REALLY want to try these pickles. Plus I saw a couple more recipes that call for clear jell too.
I might try it without it to see how it comes out, I know that it won't be a thick liquid since the clear jell is the thickener.It wil be like regualr brine, but maybe I can play around with it a little to see what I can come up with while I see if I can get it from the bakery.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good luck and "Pickle on dude." :cool:

Latest posts