I did go out there today!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's in the mid-40's out there, kinda sunny, so I took the opportunity to go out and spread some sand to mulch my lavenders. I went to a seminar at the Common Ground Fair last September and listened to a talk on growing lavender in Maine, and the woman suggested to mulch with sand, so when the weather gets milder (like it's going to be this week) and the top of the soil starts to thaw the sand will go down into the cracks and protect the roots. Helps to prevent heaving and drying. Makes sense to me!

I also took the opportunity to go down and check the hive. We were afraid they were dead once again on us, but I gave it a sharp rap with my knuckle and held my ear to the outside, and heard the annoyed buzz I was hoping for. They're alive! I'll make some fondant candy for them this week and we'll tuck it into the top of the hive - a little snack for them. :bee

It felt good, even for a few minutes, to walk around and be in the garden. They're all tucked in and resting. :rainbow-sun

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also took the opportunity to go down and check the hive. We were afraid they were dead once again on us, but I gave it a sharp rap with my knuckle and held my ear to the outside, and heard the annoyed buzz I was hoping for. They're alive! I'll make some fondant candy for them this week and we'll tuck it into the top of the hive - a little snack for them.

It felt good, even for a few minutes, to walk around and be in the garden. They're all tucked in and resting.
what type of bees do you own? my uncle has many hives in his yard. He sells his honey for a ton of money. .....Honey is worth a lot in Yuma-[Were I live]

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had periods of melting every few weeks thru November & December. Yesterday was another day like that but even milder! This time, the wind was not threatening to blow the trees down or roof off.

I couldn't think of a thing to do outside - the ground was either covered with a few square feet of snow, frozen, or pure mud. Had ideas for today but when I got up this morning there was 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground! We went right back to 36 hours ago - - it was like yesterday never happened!

The funniest thing was that yesterday afternoon the neighbor's kids were out playing at 4:30. This is so far north that it is completely dark at 4:30. I checked the thermometer and it said 34 degrees. I guess they felt like it was Spring! And just for a moment, it even felt that way to their crotchety old neighbor - me!
:frow

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
what type of bees do you own? my uncle has many hives in his yard. He sells his honey for a ton of money. .....Honey is worth a lot in Yuma-[Were I live]
They're italians. We bought packages in a group buy with our bee club. If these die we're going to buy them from a northern source next time - we did buy from a guy in Maine for our Maine yard, we'll see how they do this winter, too.

Latest posts