I found this Book downstairs```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
We~ The Folks~ had a great Library at the big house in Gardena``` Like you I have a terrible time throwing things out```

In a cabinet down stairs ( in the near the wine cellar) In a group of old books~ was this book: Was I Right by Mrs O.F. Walton``` New York. Robert Carter and Brothers 530 Broadway 1880.

I remember the book for years ago, never read it~I don't, have never read, that much~ but today~ I saw it on the shelf when entering the room and again~ when leaving~ I brought it up ~after tending the fire and making a cupa~ I opened the cover~ hand written inside the cover was:[" Bought in the city of Washington (our Nation's Home") Dec, 14th 1917.- Price 10 cents ]~and the initials~ it looks like RL ~ oldest sisters name is written on the opposing page but those are not her initials ~nor had she been born yet```

Well I read the first chapter titled: The Two Letters~ The writing is very different~ the language is different~ not just in this lady's use~ but in meaning and punctuation and~ you'd have to read it```

I had planed to struggle through this book~ just because~ but having been in the time and place~ I want to~ have to go on~ with the it~ my appetite has been wet```

I may just post the 1st chapter~ maybe not```
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the language is a moving target. there are several older books i've tried to read and mostly given up because they write so strange a dialect. it is English, but the other part is that they were paid by the word/chapter/installment and so it is usually very padded and bits repeated too often.

recently i tried to read a book and couldn't finish that one either, but the trouble with that book was the writing style of the author. too cutesy for me. i can handle some fun and puns (having read Piers Anthony's lighter works and all of e.e. cummings), but when every sentence becomes that then i want to just barf and get it over with.

in my own library, i have a lot of practical books i've not read, they are references just in case civilization fails. i have chemistry, physics, biology, micro biology, metal working, wood working, masonry, vet med, first aid, and a bunch of other similar things, gardening, card playing, music, harvard 3ft of books, philosophy, poetry, math, ...

the oddest book i have is :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sister_and_I_(Nietzsche)

i haven't looked at it or dusted it off since i moved in here...

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi~ This one feels good reading~ compelling~ there are parts that~ well~ I wouldn't read out with with a mook~ there listening``` But reading it in front of me~ I many times agree with me~ it's good reading``` I'm feeling better~ want to go into town ~ or I'd be into it now```

I do remember reading some Old English~ it was work~ interesting but work~ with expressions like~ Hrd bi th rivr~ close to the river~ work for me but it was good```

The same in languages other than English```

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daughter gave me a phone~ so I don't get lost~ or go some place and get hurt and they can't find me~
I've mislaid it~ I can hear it off to my left but I can't find the dksldi thing~ I used it this morn```

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
EF96151E-E0C7-4F7B-AA59-87A5E79960E6.jpeg
Practical of this nature ..?

My father owns property where an old farmhouse once stood. These Cooperative Extention pamphlets from the 1930’s were salvaged before the building was pulled down.

I should be reading a novel as I do each winter. Perhaps only one but it is difficult for me to pursue anything outdoors of a practical nature. Besides, I feel left out of contemporary culture and “novel” thought. So, I doubt if I will be return to read Dickens, or Doyle, or Melville ... certainly not Shakespeare or Chaucer!

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Know what you mean~ but this~ I'm not sure how has captured me~ maybe I can have a look at~ well~ listen to what this young girl~ not sure of her age yet~ says~ than break away~ put the book back~ and move on~ maybe a small brandy~ and a short look into the next couple pages```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' for some reason i also have a book on accounting. i've never read it... so perhaps that is practical enough, door stop variety practical, for future bean counters in case of the end of civilization.

i can read a book a day or every few days if it is light stuff like fiction.

when i run out of books from the library i'll reread something here. i have shelves of fantasy and science fiction along with some others. the hobbit and lord of the rings are books i'll read once every year or two. i most identify as an Entling.

i also have my old college books, considering what i paid for them it's very hard for me to weed them out. the rule here is that if i bring books home from a sale then i have to make space by getting rid of something else.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@murphysranch for sure on the "new knowledge" front, but in the case of everything hitting the fan having some references around even if they are out of date is better than nothing.

i've also been a librarian. getting rid of books is tough for me. i'm more likely to get rid of certain ones than others, but i have piles and boxes of old notes/papers to turn into worm food first.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daughter gave me a phone~ so I don't get lost
Much of a reason for the concern about being lost? Did you find it?

@flowerbug , I worked in the library for one semester. It was a pleasure :). So much better than the semester of museum work. Oh gosh, I was bored ... bored ... bored.

Steve
who has also agreed to disposing of one book when adding another to the shelves. it's also big reason for me to make regular use of the library ;)