I have a new cutting!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So there I was, stopped at a GAS STATION and doing my "yard scope" I spotted it. Over THERE, by the power pole. All neglected and OBVIOUSLY grown up in the wild so I thought to myself "Self, you MUST have some" so I went over there and snipped a piece off, telling myself I was pruning an already injured part.

What, pray tell, did I bring home? A cutting from one of THESE:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/M/mandev.cfm

Ok, ok, so it wasn't all that dramatic. I actually talked the girl working at the local nursery into letting me snip a strand off...

But hey, it SOUNDED good, yeah? :gig

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like beautiful blooms, i hope the cutting roots for you. Its like you got a free plant, not bad.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome. The mandevilla is really popular here as well. I went to the nursery and a small one runs about 20 buck so great find. Will you keep it in the house for the winter? the nursery lady says they will tolerate more water not wet feet but a bit more water.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh,

So it really is a Mandevilla vine? Wow, lucky you!

You need a Greenhouse! :ep

Ron

If you like that style, there is a more drought hardy kind of vine that is similar.

Bower Vine
bower2-june29.jpg

Here is a nice link! http://flowers109.tripod.com/bower.html

(sorry, I used up all my Bower Vine seeds, and not one single sprout...so they must of been old)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, that is pretty! I wonder if it is more cold hardy than the mandevilla? I'm not real crazy about having to cart them in and out :/ If I had known that I might not have taken the cutting....

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yummy... I really like the white flowers. I think I am partial. I went to the nursery to look for the white hibiscus with the red center and they didnt have any. They white is like dainty.... just magical. I always them my DH when the girls are in trouble that they are just delicate flowers trying to bloom. sometimes it actually works and gets them out of trouble.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is one that is hardy...I mean vine that is hardy to winters:

Cat's Claw Vine or Yellow Trumpet Vine
2695051130_445aaaedae.jpg

Purple Trumpet Vine
1.jpg

There is also a Pink Trumpet Vine..and I have seen orange, and coral too.

Ron

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are really pretty. I think I really really like vining flower plants...

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Wow, that is pretty! I wonder if it is more cold hardy than the mandevilla? I'm not real crazy about having to cart them in and out :/ If I had known that I might not have taken the cutting....
Now now I'll not hear that! "not have taken the cutting"
I thought we were more alike, but now I must wonder..... lol

I have one that has hung in there for years being dominated by my Cape Honeysuckle.

This year I am trying cuttings from it.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Broke Down Ranch said:
Now now I'll not hear that! "not have taken the cutting"
I thought we were more alike, but now I must wonder..... lol

I have one that has hung in there for years being dominated by my Cape Honeysuckle.

This year I am trying cuttings from it.
Joe, Joe, Joe....did you not see the word "might" in there? You KNOW it is pert near impossible to pass up a freebie like that. I only endeavor to be MORE like you and find the awesome treasures you do! So much so that I am even scouring my own yard and pasture looking.... :gig

I am VERY excited to be taking cuttings this winter from my very own WILD GRAPES! Soon I will have them everywhere! but then what do I do with all my other vining things? I guess I will have trellis thingy's everywhere

Latest posts