I have way to many weeds!

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know why, I just have SO MUCH! they are all 6-10 inches high! How can I get rid of them?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ticks, that depends on how much area you are referring to.....small garden, large garden, raised beds, etc. I would try laying cardboard or dampened newspaper directly on the weeds and cover with a good heavy mulch. Suppression is about the only thing unless you weed it all by hand. Some folks run a tiller through their beds to work the weeds in, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you were dealing with a very large garden. I start out with mulch and plant right into it unless it is a seed crop. For small seeds I part my mulch or rake it to one side, wait for the seed to sprout, then move my mulch back around the plants. Anyone else have any handier tips for this sprout?? :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That it depends where they are, and what they are, is correct.

If they are in between your vegetables, it's best just to pull them.

If they are in open areas, you can till them under; till them under and cover them with black plastic to solarize, or just try to smother them. (There are other choices, but they wouldn't be as good, I don't think.)

If you pull them, you can make weed tea by tossing them into a container of water in the sun. Adding that back to the soil, after it's ready, is good for the garden. I'm sure there is information on the web with details. :)

Good luck! :)

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a medium sized garden that I weed almost everyday.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found that I have a whole new variety of weeds this year.
I usually have the same type every year, year after year.
This spring I am finding some different types altogether and I have to weed everyday to keep up with them.
I just do a few minutes at a time throughout the day. I am hoping the mulch will help quell them.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have something I've never dealt with, I think you all said it was a type of Calendula. It is a succulent and grows rapidly and EVERYWHERE! It grows close to the ground so it is very hard to pull, breaks off at the stem, darn it. I find it is best to use a triangular tip hoe and chop it out. Hate those things!!!

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well, you gotta take care of them before they seed, or you'll have twice as many next time around. if you have the space its almost worth just making the garden big enough for the tiller to run through the rows. everything else, hands and a garden hoe is 'bout the only way to take care of them.

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ticks said:
I have a medium sized garden that I weed almost everyday.
I agree do some weeding daily, by hand or hoe.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Taking them out by hand is your first and best approach.

If they are growing too tall and you have space in between your rows you may be able to get in there with a string trimmer and cut them down and then apply a very thick layer of newspaper and mulch. This should work for most weeds, except those that have extensive root systems. If nothing else it should keep them at bay for this season until you have a chance to till in the fall, at which point you should use a cover crop that will crowd out weeds and then plant right through it or till again.

If you don't have room for a string trimmer than do what you can by hand or tool and follow the same steps.

Do you know what kind of weed is causing the problem? There may be a better solution.

Latest posts