I just bought a pound of dividing onion sets

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been reading up on how to treat them. I'm pretty excited about it.

Has anyone grown these successfully before? Got any tips?

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Multiplying onions, I mean. duh

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Like top onions, egyptian onions, walking onions, kind of thing? (Sorry, I am not up on my onion nomenclature). Those topset onions etc I've never honestly been all that excited about, the greens are better than nothing but a bit harsh for family members who are not quite as onion-loving as myself :p Also the ones I've had in the past tend to flop and, if neglected, make an annoying amorphous clump that when I start to pull them out it messes with the roots of adjacent veggies. (Probably the latter thing is just me, though :p)

I'd love to hear more about what exactly you've got and how they grow and whatcha use them for!

Pat

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Weeellllllllll.... the bin at the feed store said multiplier onions. LOL And I got a bag full scooped out of that bin. So that was no help.

From what I have been reading, i am pretty sure they are also known as Shallots.

I went ahead and planted them today. I cleaned out some previous beds (three of them) and planted the onions in each one. Then watered them, just to get them started, and covered loosely with some light dead leaves. Since they like to be damp, but not wet, I probably won't fool with them again for a while.

Cassandra

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These are actually scallions, not shallots. I have had good luck with them this year so far. MY Dad had them every year and saved the sets from year to year by pulling them up in the spring and laying them out in the sun to dry. Then keeping them in the barn in big brown paper bags till ready to plant again in late summer early fall. i think they are delicious. There are several different varieties. The Egyptian ones and red ones and white ones are all I have seen available.

Latest posts