I knew I still had some in the freezer

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mind you it was in the bottom, after much rooting around I found the quince and apple juices from last year, since everything comes ripe at different times I just freeze the juice until I have it all together, then of course it's just a matter of getting myself motivated. We're down to the last couple of jars of Paradise Jelly so thought it was time to get the lead out :D.
Threw the juice in a big pot with a couple of bags of cranberries, left it to simmer awhile, when cool will but through the jelly bag. Tomorrow I'll make the jelly.
This is great with turkey, chicken or pork, we prefer it to plain cranberry jelly. Does anyone else make this, it's down right delicious.

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What's your recipe?

PARADISE JELLY

I got this recipe from one of our garden club members...

3 CUPS OF CHOPPED QUINCE
2 CUPS OF CHOPPED APPLES
2 CUPS OF CRANBERRIES
WATER TO COVER FRUIT

1/4 CUP OF LEMON JUICE
5 1/2 CUPS OF SUGAR

Add enough water that you can see it through the fruit.
Boil together for 15 minutes to yield 5 cups of juice.
When strained and dripped add 1 pkt. of pectin crystals and lemon juice bring to a boil
Add the 5 1/2 cups of sugar
Boil hard 1 minute, stir and skim for 5 minutes.

It helps if you heat the sugar in the oven at 200º so sugar is warm when adding to the juice.
Bottle up in sterilized bottles and seal with Parawax.

A little tip I picked up along the way, when sealing with the wax only put a thin layer of wax over the hot jelly then lay in a coiled piece of string, end hanging over the jar, then pour more wax. The string acts as a pull tab :).
This year I'm winging it as I had juice in the freezer, using it and fresh cranberries. I'm following the Certo crystals recipe for Crabapple Jelly, theres loads of pectin in the quince so it should turn out OK. This time it's 7 cups of dripped juice to 9 cups of sugar.

I always follow recipes exactly the first time, after that I mess with them :lol:.

Annette

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will have to plant a quince bush now. :drool I have an ornamental quince, but it doesn't set fruit. I figure there is no other fruit acceptable to substitute for it?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Journey, your flowering quince (Chaenomeles) doesn't ever set fruit? Mine did when I had it but it was quite an old shrub, I used to use the fruit when I couldn't find the real deal.
The quince (Cydonia) I'm using are from a friend's tree, fruit comes ripe in October. It isn't a large tree but it's loaded with fruit every year, fruit hard as nails even when ripe. Not often seen in nurseries around here anymore, other thing slipping into oblivion.

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that you add the lemon juice before you boil and strain it, I'm used to adding lemon juice after I get pure juice. I often mix fruit and berries that are left over to make different jellies or jams but I keep a close watch on proportions so the jelly will set up. My only mix this yea was mulberry and dandelion. All the others were pure.

I was going to get a quince last year to see how it would do here when I ordered something else but the nursery was out of them. Maybe next time. I got a flowering quince when I moved here and it did OK but it was a creeping or whatever you call it, not a bush. It did not grow upright but just hugged the ground. It was not thick enough to crowd out the grass underneath so it was too much trouble to maintain. After three years, out it came.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting that you add the lemon juice before you boil and strain it, I'm used to adding lemon juice after I get pure juice. I often mix fruit and berries that are left over to make different jellies or jams but I keep a close watch on proportions so the jelly will set up. My only mix this yea was mulberry and dandelion. All the others were pure.

I was going to get a quince last year to see how it would do here when I ordered something else but the nursery was out of them. Maybe next time. I got a flowering quince when I moved here and it did OK but it was a creeping or whatever you call it, not a bush. It did not grow upright but just hugged the ground. It was not thick enough to crowd out the grass underneath so it was too much trouble to maintain. After three years, out it came.

Thanks Ridge for catching that, you are absolutely right, the lemon juice is added to the strained juice. I edited, and changed my mistake.

I think there's a bit of training to do when growing the (Cydonia) tree, not ever grown one myself apparently they can throw some root suckers which you have to prune out. I had two friends that had small trees but only one now and I don't know how long he will be around but then the same goes for me.

Annette

Latest posts