I Love Strawberries!!!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Over the weekend I searched the internet for the best strawberry prices.
The best deal I could find was 100 bare root crowns of mixed variety (their choice) for $22.50, plus $9.99 shipping. Most places I checked had a ship date of 3/21/13, which is what I wanted because I was putting half of them in my greenhouse.
I called a a place this morning to order and was told it takes 2 weeks to process an order and that they are just starting to pull stock from their nursery and get in the building for shipping.
I told them thanks but I would check around.
In the past I had bought some gardening stuff from Wal Mart, so after lunch I took a ride to see what they might have.
Well glory be was I ever glad I did that, they have pkgs of 10 bare root crowns @ $2.98 per pkg. and every crown I have opened so far has already started to put up foliage. So for just a touch more I have what I wanted in hand with growth already started and about 60 planted in containers and out in the greenhouse.
Oh, and instead of 100 I ended up with about 150 plants.
Boy do I love strawberries!!!!

THANX RICH

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
We'll be hearing about your harvest soon! (jealous!)

me love strawberries too!!

:drool

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My strawberries arrived about 5 days ago. I'm trying strawberries again after several years without. I had a terrible time with weeds in the past even with several attempts with different kinds of mulches. Since I have an unlimited supply of chopped straw these days I thought I'd try again. I have found that the chopped straw, if applied correctly, will create a thick blanket on the soil surface. And since this straw has been through three different processes there are no seeds in it at all.

Now I have 150 little plants sitting in the barn waiting to be stuck in the ground but it may be August before my soil dries out enough to work out there in the slop :barnie.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, I'm waiting to see how it turned out, but I just mudded my new strawberry plants in then covered the roots with about a 1/2" of dry compost. I left the crown uncovered where it could grow. Then I covered all that with mulch to protect against freezing but also to hopefully slow the process so maybe it won't turn to brick. I don't know what I'm going to wind up with, probably clay as hard as brick, but it was the best I could come up with. I'm hoping by covering that disturbed clay it won't set up real hard.

We've had a couple of days in the 70's so I took the mulch off the plants but left a bunch on the ground. It has not dried out enough after this last rain to see how that ground is going to turn out. At least the strawberries were still alive. Our seven-day forecast calls for even more rain but at least the temperatures just barely get below freezing a few times with high's generally in the 50's.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got strawberries from walmart last year, two different types. One bag was bad and we returned it. But all the rest of the strawberry plants did great. We had lots and lots of strawberries, yummm. Now the plants are starting to perk up, can't wait for strawberries this year.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, yea, might just have to go out there, dump some bags of relatively dry compost or something like it on the soil and stick them in. You can't hold them until August in the dark.

Alternatively, perhaps you can put them in containers and set them in the sunniest place you have. Maybe make a container or containers.

julieet1

Sprout
Reaction score
I also love strawberries. I have rose garden and it is easy to care flower garden to me but i wish if would be able to make strawberries garden .

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What a haul!

I got mine at Gurney's years ago, I don't even remember what I paid. I only started with 50, and with all the runners over the years I probably have 200 now. I really need to get this strawberry habit under control. :D

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Between yesterday and today I've planted all but about 30 in containers in the greenhouse.
I also put 3 asperagus crowns in a bucket in the greenhouse. I have 13 more crowns to plant. I guess I'll see how wet the garden is tomorrow and try and get them started.

THANX RICH

Latest posts