I need Animal safe weed killer

animal nut

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What can I use to kill weeds in my driveway and sidewalks. I have 3 dogs, 2 cats and 60 chickens running around my property and I do not want them to get sick or anything. I would appreciate your imput.

Thank you

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fire (like, from a propane torch), boiling water, agricultural-strength vinegar (now sold in homeowner-size bottles with 'eco somethingorother' on the label, check for acetic acid being listed as the active ingredient).

That is roughly descending order of effectiveness.

Obviously two of them you have to be very careful with, each in their own way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

animal nut

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. If I use a blow torch will I have to keeping using it on the same plants or do they die right away?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
animal nut said:
Thanks Pat. If I use a blow torch will I have to keeping using it on the same plants or do they die right away?
Some do some don't, just redo as needed. You are not trying to actually set fire to the plants remember, just hold the flame near enough that they kind of frizzle up, if that makes any sense? Make sure to have a turned-on hose handy.

Good luck, have fun (er, not too much fun <g>),

Pat

PennyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As Pat mentioned above, i use vinegar and it works really well, just be careful thats all you spray it on, or it will kill other things too,