I need my annual NAGGING

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep putting off getting to work preparing the garden for 2014.

Some of y'all know I'm a single ole Neanderthal in the woods with no woman here to nag at me to get in gear.

This year I have NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER!

I don't have that BUBONIC FLU like last year, the snow has not torn my netting.

The weather is nice and chilly, ground not mucky.

Come on, practice your nagging skills on me. Get me into action!

I need to outline what I plan to do to prepare.

I need to sequence that plan.

I need to....do anything, but do something!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy! I'm good at nagging!
Write out a rough plan of what your goals are and we'll hold your feet to the fire.

Are you still sitting there???
Come on! Snap to it Marshall!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hide

Yes mayaam...

First I gotta finish cleaning out last year's stuff.
Gotta get the old doghouse out too.
Gotta take a flame to the soil surface to get the grubs.
Gotta finish pruning the berries.
Gotta remove, separate, and pot up the grape rootstocks I've been growing for the young future heiress of a very major winery. They will become her very own first row of vineyard, for her to grow at their vineyard's tasting room.
Got to desoil one of the beds, make the first ANTIGOPHER CAGE, set it in, and soil it in. That will take another trip to town, and after next payday to purchase the plastic. Already got 100 feet of HARDWARE CLOTH as suggested with this month's pay.

After that, there is February: I'll need about 100 feet of 2 foot wide chicken wire. I need to raise the roof of my garden at the sides. Remove the top framing, not front and back though, and purchase eight 2 x 4 twelve footers, and probably a couple more ten footers. and then do it!

:th

Also will want to PURCHASE some bagged topsoil to even out the strong ph balances of my soil, and to have a clean surface. (A dead tree nearby had spider mites. That's why the flame on the soil. I'm going proactive on that possibility! Also, purchasing probably 100 pounds of diatomaceous earth.) That will surface the soil.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, does that get it all down in black & white, Marshall?

That's a big part of getting to something for me. It looks like a BIG list of things-to-do for you!! Do you need to do all of that over the next 6 or 8 weeks, or something?

Better prioritize -- even if you have to jump around with tasks. Getting something 50% done where you can take the next steps is better than getting it 51% done and coming to a full stop because you don't have the energy to take it to 100%.

Organize your plans & material needs so that you know what you are after when you take that drive to Ukiah.

Don't let anything get the best of you - you are the captain of your destiny.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, need to make LISTS.

Gotta have it basically done, at least parts of it, ready for planting around April 1st. Or so.

Oh yea, some peas can be planted St. Patrick's day.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Time for procrastination to be over.

Nag at me. I need it!

Oh yea, got the large envelope of seeds packed and ready to send to Joseph Simcox.

Still have to make one for Hal! And whoever else I am forgetting. I still have a lot of seeds getting to needing planting.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall I thnk So lucky is going though the same thing, might want to read her thread in Random Rambling. I think it has to do with the amouut of natural sunlight this time of year.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is very probably true New York. Where I am in the forest the sun hardly ever peeks through the trees to the south this time of year.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Marshall, first you make your list of EVERYTHING you need to do. Next, do at least 3 of those chores a week and cross them off your list. When you are half way there, Put the remainding chores on a new list to work from. This new shorter list will really make you feel good and inspire you. Now your goal is to do that list by tomorrow if you haven't done it yet.

Mary