I need Pickle recipes

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Now that my cukes are outgrowing their 7 1/2 foot trellis, they are beginning to produce cukes. Only a few pounds so far, but there are a hundred little ones coming soon.
I was wondering what your favorite pickle recipes are and if you'ld share them. I have always been prone to bread and butter, but am willing to try most anything. Small batch recipes would probably be most useful, but again all are welcomed.

henry

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The Ball canning book has a fair number of pickle recipes. Just tried their B&B this week. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I must say my favorite is dill and mustard. Mmmm...

Here's what I've been doing for mine:

Heat in a pot-
1 1/2 quarts of water
2 cups apple cider vinegar
4 tsp dill seed
2 tsp mustard seed (yellow or brown)
1/4 cup dry minced onion
2 tsp dried garlic slices (I dry my own for this, don't use powder, but you can opt to use fresh its 1 garlic clove per quart jar)
1/4 cup pickling salt

Remove from heat and pour over prepacked quart jars of your choice, cukes, squash, peppers... works great on all of it. I even pack in some fresh dill flowers into each jar.

Waterbath can these filled jars for 20 minutes.

(I like using the 'pickle crisp' by ball to keep them fresh tasting. Or you can skip the canning and heating part, let sit on a count for 48 hour and then store in your fridge for good refrigerator pickles! YUM!)

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you both! My mouth is watering as I gather the tools and supplies to try the recipes I've found.

Shannon, your website looks delicious and I look forward to trying the pickle recipe. :)

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you don't mind packaged mixes, Mrs. Wages has some good pickle recipe packages in the canning section of stores.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The greatest trick for crisp pickles- is to put a grape leaf in the bottom of the jar. I did some with, some without last year. The difference is huge. I harvest my grape leaves early, and freeze them. By the time my cukes are ready- the Japanese Beetles will have a field day with my grapevines!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
The greatest trick for crisp pickles- is to put a grape leaf in the bottom of the jar. I did some with, some without last year. The difference is huge. I harvest my grape leaves early, and freeze them. By the time my cukes are ready- the Japanese Beetles will have a field day with my grapevines!
So I guess its Japaneese bettles that are wiping out my grape leaves?? They dont look like the stinky ones that we were fighting last year, but they smell like them. the ones on the grapes are shiny.

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lesa, will wild grape do? I don't yet have any grapes growing, I'm still trying to pry my garden out of the grasp of the bamboo that took over when I wasn't looking. :idunno

Latest posts