I saw Bee's today.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:bee I finally saw bees on my Squash blooms, :woot Now maybe they will start making more Squash. :weee

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's great! :)

I had lots of nice bees here until last week, but since the smoke, they aren't to be seen. I hope they come back out soon, or all of these nice flowers won't be pollinated!

Hey, maybe my bees took a vacation to your place? :bee :D

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I saw some bumble bees on my lima beans yesterday.

I have read that it is illegal to kill them. Is that true? It doesn't make any sense to me. I thought they were prolific!

Cassandra

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read that it's illegal in some jurisdictions. One source said it's swarms.

I don't know....why don't we all call our local authorities and see what we're told? :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I saw some bumble bees on my lima beans yesterday.

I have read that it is illegal to kill them. Is that true? It doesn't make any sense to me. I thought they were prolific!

Cassandra
All of our pollinators are in trouble, including bumble bees, but I have to ask, why would you want to kill them? They're no trouble unless you stumble upon their nest (they are ferocious defenders of their home), but in the garden, they just go about their business. In over 35 years of gardening intensively I have never, ever been stung by anything. Even with the heavy concentration of bees here in my yard (three full hives out back!) I've had no trouble.

As for the legality of it, I have not heard of any laws specifically passed. I just wouldn't kill them. We need them to pollinate our crops.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do a Google search on Honey Bees. Last yr. most of the population dissapeared. They later found out it was some type of virus that was killing them off. Please do NOT killl them, they are what pollunates our crops. No Bees = No Food.

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm glad someone posted about bees. I have a bee hive, they moved in about 4 months ago, and was worried about my 5 year old's safety. I called the city to see what they said and they told me that I had to have it removed by a professional because it was in my backyard and not on public property. When I called the "bee" man he said that they were probably honey bees and not africanized bees because they hadn't attacked anyone after 4 months. He said it would cost $300.00 to remove plus 15 a pound for the honey to be removed. I had been reading about Colony Colapse Disorder in some of my gardening magazines so I really felt that leaving them would be a better option. I just make sure my son doesn't play in that part of the yard. They are actually quite fascinating to watch.

5636_s6300327.jpg

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
All of our pollinators are in trouble, including bumble bees, but I have to ask, why would you want to kill them?
As for the legality of it, I have not heard of any laws specifically passed. I just wouldn't kill them. We need them to pollinate our crops.
I would NOT! :eek:

I was just wond'rin cause I thought it was odd.

When I was four, I was "helping" my mom hang clothes on the line and got stung by a bumble bee under my armpit! Had to go to the hospital. I was allergic at the time, but I'm not any more.

When I was about 10, my cousin (11) and I cought a couple and sealed them in jars until they suffocated and looked at them under her microscope. That was really neat. We could see the big tufts of pollen on their legs.

But I have nothing against them. I realize that I don't see them as much now as I used to. Back when I was 10, they were all over the place! Now, I just see them every once in a while. I never see them swarming around the blossoms like I used to.

Cassandra

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
adeledamate said:
He said it would cost $300.00 to remove plus 15 a pound for the honey to be removed. I had been reading about Colony Colapse Disorder in some of my gardening magazines so I really felt that leaving them would be a better option.
I think you chose wisely. Your 'beeman' charges ridiculous prices, unless he's also going to do the carpentry to fix the hole after he does the cutout. I actually don't know any bee removers who charge by the pound to remove the honey - they can just turn around and sell it, so they usually don't charge to 'remove' it. After all, if they take the honeycomb (as they should to actually ensure the bees are gone) the honey goes with the comb! Then the hole or cavity needs to be filled to ensure they or any others won't use the same spot again.

I just make sure my son doesn't play in that part of the yard. They are actually quite fascinating to watch.
They really are, and they shouldn't cause your son any harm provided he doesn't stick his finger in their entryway! Seriously, they're more interested in the nectar flow right now, if they feel their stores are threatened they'll go after that threat, but for the most part they'll just go about their business. Good for you for giving them a home :bee

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coveting again, here! I would love to have a bee swarm like that one in my yard!!! I'd slap 'em in a hive and try to make em comfortable!!! :)

I've seen all kinds of bees this year, since the beginning of 50s weather. Last year, almost none! This year, I've had to watch my buildings closely for bees nests. I don't particularly like bees, other than honey bees, but its good to see them back.

Latest posts