I want to visit the wild coastal horses, anyone else?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
My gelding is a Corolla wild horse, from Corolla NC. There are 4 breeds there.
They are all so pretty. Hope to visit Corolla to take pictures of them.
One day, if I won the lotto, I would join the effort to preserve the breed and own a breeding mare or two.

Pictures gotten from the net.

Strutting his stuff! And a goofy baby.
horses.jpg

This one looks so much like my boy! :)
Corolla%20Wild%20Horse%20Fund%20Outer%20Banks%2001.png

Newborn, yearling and momma?
08HORS-popup.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool picture of the stallion, caught perfectly in a moment of total suspension. :)

Are these the wild ponies of Assateague and Chincoteague I learned about in Margeurite Henrys books?
I nearly had those stories memorized!

Are you planning a trip?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are the Corolla bank horses, in North Carolina.

Yes, I've been wanting to see my gelding's relatives since I found out where he came from! lol

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So beautiful! I love the pic of that shiny, muscular stallion. LOL, of course the baby is running off the wrong way. :D

We saw a few wild horses on Ocracoke Island, about 70 miles south of Corolla on the Outer Banks, NC when we were there in 2014. I've always wanted to try staying up there near Duck/Corolla/Kitty Hawk, but my sister insists on going back to Hatteras every time since they've always stayed there since they were married, 14 years now (I guess I'm going to have to go by myself if that's ever going to happen!) The horses on Ocracoke that we saw were in a fenced pasture, I guess for their safety since it's a narrow island and the highway runs right through it. I'm not sure to what degree they handle them though, if at all. It was hard to get a good look at them since they were double-fenced. I think you can go see the Corolla horses unrestrained when you drive out on the beach in designated areas where they have a wildlife refuge up there.

IMGP7400.JPG IMGP7401.JPG

The Chincoteague and Assateague ponies are located closer to the Virginia/Maryland coastal border. They still do the pony runs. I'd love to go see that someday! It's on July 27th this year. http://www.virginia.org/Listings/Events/AnnualChincoteagueIslandPonySwimandAuction/ We read ALL of the Marguerite Henry books when Ava was in 1st grade, prior to our vacation. I read them all as a kid and I don't think any other literary work has stuck with me so clearly, except maybe the Ramona Quimby books, LOL.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been to Chincoteague & Assateague a few times. The islands are beautiful and the town is charming, but I never got more than a glimpse from far, far away of the ponies.
Mt. Rogers in southwestern VA has wild ponies too. It's a wonderful (and somewhat challenging) climb and the ponies will interact with you a little.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I loved the Marguerite Henry books when I was a kid. Always wanted to go see the ponies on Pony Penning Day. Maybe one day...

I love the family photo!

Latest posts