id this beetle please

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This was on an orange I had out for the Orioles . There were several of them. Big suckers.
Thanks.

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oops forgot pic!!
That is a brown spot on its back not mud. LOL

Attachments

• DSC02102.JPG
    DSC02102.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 301

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, i'd agree, june bug, harmless other than they sometimes scare people by getting in their hair and such.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had the green June bugs, not the Japanese beetles, destroy a lot of blackberries. Once one starts they cluster on a ripe berry and demolish it. If a bird pecks a ripe apple or peach, they cluster on it and can eat it down in a matter of hours. I don't know if a bug releases pheromones that attracts the others or it is the smell of the fresh fruit juice after it has been punctured but they cluster and can destroy fruit pretty quickly. Some years they are not that bad but some years the chickens got to eat a lot of June bugs.

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you. guess I'll call it june bug!!
I Googled lots of june bug images but none have the tan spot on the back.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you have a mutant, Spookybird.
Those big green ones are the bugs we used to catch and tie a long thread to their leg. Hold the other end of the thread and you have your own remote control airplane.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had the green June bugs, not the Japanese beetles, destroy a lot of blackberries. Once one starts they cluster on a ripe berry and demolish it. If a bird pecks a ripe apple or peach, they cluster on it and can eat it down in a matter of hours. I don't know if a bug releases pheromones that attracts the others or it is the smell of the fresh fruit juice after it has been punctured but they cluster and can destroy fruit pretty quickly. Some years they are not that bad but some years the chickens got to eat a lot of June bugs.

Japanese beetles release a chemical which tells others to come join in... i doubt they are the only bug to do this. as a side note, worms can hear/feel other worms eating...

looks like a green june bug to me. spot can be disease or defect in development or perhaps even pest of it's own.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree, June bug. Mostly harmless... but they can lay eggs (turning into grubs) in potted plants moved outside. We have a couple Kalamansi (dwarf oranges, also called Calamandin) that we move outside in Summer. This year, while the plants were still inside, we kept finding June bugs on the floor, near the plants. Initially we thought they had somehow come in from outside; but upon examination, we could see the disturbed soil in the pots, where the beetles had emerged.

Latest posts