Identify this for me please?

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This "plant" grows throughout my property. I cant find what it is...and would like to know if it is poisonous? Anyone know?

5639_whatweed.jpg

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This stuff does not vine up. Its low to the ground...maybe 5 or 6 inches tall.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely not virginia creeper- I would recognize that in the dark!!! Are the tiny white flowers, part of the larger leafed plant?

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Definitely not virginia creeper- I would recognize that in the dark!!! Are the tiny white flowers, part of the larger leafed plant?
No, the white flowers are a seperate plant.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think they are nice looking and don't appear to be invasive. You may just be lucky to have some nice ground cover. I completely agree with damummis.

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Im not leaning towards the winter aconite...because this stuff grows "wild" all around Indiana.
The May apple...maybe...but the stems on the May apple look to eb more of a woody stem, these are more of a soft juicy stem. I just dont know if its safe to put my goats where this stuff is growing.?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I did a search--it definitely looks like May Apple to me--here's some sites~
http://www.briartech.com/earlyspring/mayapple/may.htm
http://www2.wabash.edu/blog/whatsthatplant/2007/04/may_apple.html
"Podophyllum peltatum

May apple is a common sight in local woodlands at this time of year. Individuals may produce either a single leaf or two leaves. In the latter case, a flower will be produced at the fork between the leaves (see photo). The leaves are folded like an umbrella as the plants emerge from their winter slumber and are a sure sign of spring's arrival. This species produces a rather tasty edible fruit (though the squirrels frequently get to the fruits before they're ripe enough to be appetizing to humans!) May apple is of great economic importance--a compound produced by the roots of species in the genus (podophyllotoxin) is the precursor for etoposide, a medicinal compound used to fight testicular cancer and certain types of lung cancer."

It doesn't look like you have an invasive species growing there!

Latest posts