If You Have A LGD Might Want To Read This

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use a bark collar for my dog. Annoying neighbor has no tolerance for even a tiny bark. Keeps the peace. It is usually out of power but she walks over and willingly puts it on and is immediately quiet. She even has figured out how to use a little bit of voice without getting zapped.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must say this....I agree with the court ruling about fining the couple who had the dogs, not so much with the vocal cord cutting. I'd just require they reduce the number of dogs they currently have and train those left. Yes, it takes work, but they CAN be trained to only bark at necessary things...every says they can't change the nature of these breeds about barking but I've done it and it doesn't take much, especially on small acreage like that.

No WAY do you need 6 dogs to work that type of property and to guard a few sheep, goats and chickens. That's just dog hoarding and a total disregard of your neighbor's right to a quiet home.

PLUS, if you have neighbors that near, it's likely you are in a suburban type setting and it's doubtful you have predator pressure to the degree that you need that kind of dog power on hand.

It's likely they are barking at all the "threats" that they perceive in a suburban setting....people letting their house dogs out to pee and poo, people getting ready to go to work, etc.

Those poor people put up with that for 10 years before filing a suit, so I think they were more than patient with it all but it just got too much.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with the court decision. Six LGD's on 3.4 acres is excessive.

The statement that they started barking at 5 a.m. and didn't stop tells me something about the owners. That type of nuisance barking is a clue that they were not responding to a threat. The owners apparently tried to quell the barking with shock collars with no effect. So the dogs were either untrainable or the owners are incompetent at understanding how to manage animals.

The surgery being called inhumane by critics is a ridiculous claim.
Allowing dogs, no matter their job description, to bark excessively is gross inconsideration of the people who live around you, who also have a right to a reasonable existence on their property.

I'm not unfamiliar with LGDs and their method of protection. There are several in my neck of the woods. A close neighbor has an Armenian Gampr. And yes, we can hear her bark. But only when she's doing her job and when her job has been accomplished she's quiet. That's a good neighbor, and we appreciate them and their wonderful dog.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few of my clients have had the surgery on their dogs. What people don't know is dog is still able to bark the pitch is changed, but dog is not mute. The surgery is very very expensive so usually is only done after bark collars have failed. If a court ordered either do surgery or get rid of dog I would do surgery. Thankfully bark collars do work on 95% of time

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As it turns out the 3 acres is what is deeded to them but they lease another 7 acres adjacent to that and pastures are sectioned off running 2 dogs per pasture, which is common as 1 dog will wear itself out and can be injured working alone guarding against apex predators.

Latest posts