if you want your DH to get going on the honey-doos

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
just arrange for an appraisal. my darlin HATES honey doos. things can sit around for a year or two or - whenever, but we've got this appraisal thing happening next week. here's this unnamed, unseen woman coming Tuesday & my guy is making miracles happen! my new tactic may be to tell a bald faced lie & tell him we've got an appraiser coming in a few days. it's tempting

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hahaha...that's great! I'll have to try that one. Only problem being that I can't get him moving on the re-fi in the first place. :p

catjac1975 said:
Even better. Have a big party inviting HIS family. Especially his mother.
ETA: Now that's one to get ME moving. LOL.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Find a mortgage calculator and do the numbers and show him how much money you will save.
journey11 said:
Hahaha...that's great! I'll have to try that one. Only problem being that I can't get him moving on the re-fi in the first place. :p

catjac1975 said:
Even better. Have a big party inviting HIS family. Especially his mother.
ETA: Now that's one to get ME moving. LOL.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Give him an incentive that will give him the energy to do the fixes ... example : almost 2 years ago we purchased a bank owned home that was literally trashed by the unhappy former owner. I completely redid the landscaping ( everything was dead and the land looked like moonscape craters due to their 5 large dogs). Repaired holes in walls , floors, and redesigned and rebuilt the master walk in closet which increased storage capacity by almost 3x. Rebuilt the laundry room and kitchen pantry . Rewired half the house and installed cealing fans in all rooms. Re plumbed and retiled both bathrooms. Re painted the interior. Six months ago, we refinanced to save 1 3/4% which lowered our payments by $242/ month AND increased the home value by $ 73,000 ( appraised) by spending about $4,000 for supplies and my work. Not too bad a return on investment. :tools

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
...past some unknown age us ole neanderthals just plain work slower no matter the incentive...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
... how about Mrs. Bigfoot chasing after one with an iron skillet in hand with that look in her eye ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
. . . lowered our payments . . . increased the home value . . .
Yeah!!

I may have done things really backward. Life gets complicated.

Wondering if it made sense to refinance my 7% mortgage, I was on a downhill run to pay off it off and, instead, borrowed cheap money for roof replacement and remodeling bath and one room. Now, paying off cheap 2nd mortgage with multiple payments because it's easy (& I didn't like borrowing $ in the 1st place).

No, I did do things backwards. I looked into refinancing and it made no sense in 2008 but I think paying out $ today would make more sense for that 7% loan or refinancing might still work with a 2nd mortgage . . . Pay it off and then apply? Life gets complicated and I begin to freeze up when I think too much about $. Both of my kids seem to have inherited that trait.

1st and 2nd mortgages may be past tense before long. I was just reading that financial savvy is highest during the early 50's. Missed that by a good measure. Savvy would probably put life-expectancy, history of work beyond retirement, brokerage fees and lunch tab, and the expected length of gridlock in Washington into the equation.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
...past some unknown age us ole neanderthals just plain work slower no matter the incentive...
I did manage to get my spouse to work my honey-do list done. My ploy? I repeatedly told him how much I enjoyed working with him. How wonderful he was. How wonderful his work was. How much I appreciated him and all that he's done. Several times I even thanked him for doing things he hadn't even done yet. (Yes, they soon got done.) All in all I continually told him he was the perfect husband until he believed it himself. Once he believed me, he became the perfect guy I claimed he was and would cheerfully do just about anything I asked of him. The key to my success is in believing myself that he was perfect - perfect for me, anyway - until he believed it as well.

I knew what I was doing was a tad(?) manipulative, but in fairness to myself, I also treated him like the most important person in my world. Now that he's "past some unknown age. . . [and] . . . just plain working slower. . . " I really try to bite my tongue when all the ideas come flitting about in my brain. He's still perfect, but I agree that slowing down is just right for him at this point.

I feel it rather goes with asking the Lord for something and then walking in faith that you received it. I walked in faith with a perfect husband and could never have been disappointed. One of my biggest problems is that I often forget to ask for his help. He would vacuum. He would dry dishes. He would dust. He would do just about anything if I remembered to ask. He will sit or stand around watching me doing housework and it will never occur to him to pitch in if I don't ask. Love that guy!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
bobm said:
. . . lowered our payments . . . increased the home value . . .
Yeah!!

I may have done things really backward. Life gets complicated.

Wondering if it made sense to refinance my 7% mortgage, I was on a downhill run to pay off it off and, instead, borrowed cheap money for roof replacement and remodeling bath and one room. Now, paying off cheap 2nd mortgage with multiple payments because it's easy (& I didn't like borrowing $ in the 1st place).

No, I did do things backwards. I looked into refinancing and it made no sense in 2008 but I think paying out $ today would make more sense for that 7% loan or refinancing might still work with a 2nd mortgage . . . Pay it off and then apply? Life gets complicated and I begin to freeze up when I think too much about $. Both of my kids seem to have inherited that trait.

1st and 2nd mortgages may be past tense before long. I was just reading that financial savvy is highest during the early 50's. Missed that by a good measure. Savvy would probably put life-expectancy, history of work beyond retirement, brokerage fees and lunch tab, and the expected length of gridlock in Washington into the equation.

Steve
Consider that your current first mortgage is 7%, and today the refinance mortgage is 4.25% for 30 years while a 2nd mortgage is for a much shorter period of time. Therefore your payments will be higher per month ... Now that 4.25% ... that is almost half which would decrease your monthly payment significantly. If your 1st and 2nd mortgages may soon be in past tense, I would refinance to a new 1st for the balance of the current 1st plus the 2nd, then go ahead and pay yourself the payment savings into a savings account and then pay it all off from the savings account . Doing this, the payoff just may be much sooner than one would think. I hope that this helps. Bob. :D