I'm so angry I could just spit...

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I guess I just need to vent... Here is the story:
I have been saving seeds from my squash, pumpkin, and marigold plants over the past few weeks. The other day I decided to drag out my "inventory" of seeds and add the new ones to the bunch. I store my seeds in a cool, dark, and what I thought was a dry location in a Rubbermaid container under the stairs of my home. Well, when I pulled the inventory box out, the contents were wet and moldy! I am furious! :somad Almost all, or at least $100 worth, of my seeds are rotten! Apparently, our not-so-lovely, old home sprung a leak somewhere, and to boot I neglected to seal the Rubbermaid container all the way. Now I have to start all over again. I am just so angry! Not to mention, replacing those seeds won't be easy. A lot of them where hard to find in the first place, or just plain expensive.
Have you ever made a stupid mistake, that cost you so much time, money, and frustration? Do you have any tips or know of any sites/stores that I can find 'cheap', heirloom seeds? Also, where should I move my next seeds to? I don't have a garage, basement, or enough room in my refrigerator... :hu
Thanks for letting me vent, and if you have any advice I am more than willing to listen.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, what a disappointment!! I don't have any suggestions, but I send my sympathies!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am disappointed right along with you! The first year I kept me seeds I had a similar issue. I placed them in a tupperware container on a shelf by the sink. I mustn't have had the lid on type and the container fell into the sink which was full of soapy water. Total loss! :hugs

I do hope that your house springing a link isn't going to cost you anymore headaches!!! :hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a seed company that should be considered a gem. Anyway, Remy who runs it is a gem! She is very kind and generous with her products and help.

Sample Seed Shop

I'm sorry about the loss. If you need any more ideas regarding the larger seed companies, send me a PM.

My seeds are sitting on shelves & tables around my electric breaker box in the basement. If the house was to spring a leak down there, I'd have a lot more problems than the loss of seed :/.

Steve

i guess the phrase is "a gem" . . :rolleyes:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try listing a few seeds you particularly want on the exchange board, Foks here are pretty generous and often willing to help even if you don't have anything for exchange.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Here's a seed company that should be considered a gem. Anyway, Remy who runs it is a gem! She is very kind and generous with her products and help.

Sample Seed Shop

I'm sorry about the loss. If you need any more ideas regarding the larger seed companies, send me a PM.

My seeds are sitting on shelves & tables around my electric breaker box in the basement. If the house was to spring a leak down there, I'd have a lot more problems than the loss of seed :/.

Steve

Thanks for posting that link, my eyes are too tired to study it tonight, but I'm definately comparing it to my seed wish list.

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:

Sample Seed Shop

Steve

Wow :ep , I am very impressed with this seed company! Their prices are amazing, and not to mention their selection! :drool I just made a very large order with them, which helped me recoup about 75% of my inventory along with a few new types. :weee Even though the pain was a bit painful for my wallet, it would have been much more expensive if I had ordered from SSE.

Hoodat: That is a great idea! I will definitely do that. :D

Thank you everyone, for your suggestions, stories, and sympathy. I will just have to learn from my mistakes and move on. I still have not found a spot for my inventory box, but I will keep searching.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I threw out my husbands heirloom tomato seeds one year when cleaning. He stored some on a plate & stuck it up in my soffit to dry. Why there, don't ask cause I haven't got the foggiest. Anyway while I was doing some thorough cleaning I came upon them and not thinking tossed them into the trash. I was on a cleaning frenzy. A couple weeks later he was looking for them & asked if I did anything with them! "No honey, I haven't seen them!" :rolleyes:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
M.sue, shame on you! :lol: In my house it's usually the other way around. I can never find papers and I swear my husband has thrown them away. Of course, he always say's he didn't. :/

Mary