valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
074f129c88eb6e821cbce070a52751c7--funny-dog-humor-dog-memes.jpg

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
...and through high winds, sleet and blizzards to an OLD drafty school where the furnace kept breaking down, so what kids, keep your coats on and get on with it.
The only kids that caught a break were the ones that were bused in from rural areas. The buses didn't run in those conditions so they got a day off or until the buses were up and running again. I guess we were made of stronger stuff back then.

I was reminiscing a while back with one of the teachers that taught there, he remembered those times, I can't remember what it was but he said even the ??? froze in his first aid kit. Yep, that was the day when we were made of stronger stuff.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And walked 10 miles to school in all kinds of weather

Uphill, both ways.

The only kids that caught a break were the ones that were bused in from rural areas.

Actually, my bus stop was .9 mile away. I had Mom measure it with her car. Sometimes, she would drive me there. Or, I would ride my bike to our nextdoor neighbor's house, leave the bike on her front porch and walk from there. But, that got me only about half way.

In the Rogue River Valley, fog would settle densely. We lived between the Cascades and the Coast Range. The longest road I walked had no homes and little traffic. I used to walk in the middle to try to see if the fence posts on either side of the road were visible at the same time. That was just a part of my scientific observations when I realized that the fog was so dense that I couldn't see the opposite posts when I walked on one shoulder. Mom wouldn't allow me to ride my bike on those mornings ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walking a mile to the bus stop was stressful?

Not that I remember. It was a problem in the rain. Snow occurred very seldom and I could bundle up against the cold. I can remember the relief I felt seeing Mom appear in the car when getting soaked seemed to be my fate ...

The fog was very peaceful, as I recall. Cars would suddenly appear and it probably scared the drivers a little to find a lone schoolboy out there. I could hear okay, back then. At night, when we drove down that road, or the more direct route to town, Mom or Dad would sometimes roll down the window and lean out to try to find an intersection.

Steve

Latest posts