In other Weather News

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not as catastrophic as Houston ... and, I guess we will see about western Louisiana and the Tennessee Valley :hide.

The temperatures here are about 20°f above normal. The high at a nearby airport was 98° on the 29th, tying a record set in 1929.

Hanging my clothes out this morning, I felt like they were going in a smoke house, despite the 14mph breeze from the south. There are no nearby fires altho it's hard to believe with the heavy smoke in this valley. It was absolutely wretched air, yesterday afternoon!

No close fires yet Spokane is now second in the historical line for the most days without rain at 64 days. It looks like on Labor Day weekend, more temperature records will be set.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had a frost by this date before, @thistlebloom !

Instead, the forecast for Sunday is 97° !

That day of showers is just a dim memory, now. Vanishing almost as quickly as the dampness on the pavement, that distant summer afternoon.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a cool wind blowing here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin today. High only in the 60s which is NOT typical end of August weather. There's also a smokey haze everywhere. . . a gift from Canada and its raging forest fires. And to think I spent most of the day searching out the cause of all the smoke in the air only to find out late in the day it wasn't mine.

With all the trees cut down recently, my son has been fire happy trying to clean everything up.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow it's going to be 100° in Alameda! Our temps are usually 67°. Suppose to stay hot for at least 5 days.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flushing the house with outdoor air beginning before sunrise has had trade-offs.

I have welcomed guests at the airport from areas with wildfires. The crowd that leave the plane smell of smoke! I bet that is true with all planeloads of travelers going outside of this region. We are smoked!

Anyway, it is worse in the afternoons than early mornings but down right stifling at times! With so much heat and it was 97°f today ... Good Goobly Goop! What did we do to deserve this??

Our line of latitude has now lost just over 2 1/2 hours of daylight. So, the longer night hours help to keep the house cool and the blast of afternoon heat is relatively short. I guess I can be thankful for the loss of light ...

Steve

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's been a brutal summer for heat in these here parts, I agree. Lived here my whole life (55 yrs come Oct.) and this is the worst summer ever!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We live about 40+ miles EAST from the Columbia River Gorge Oregon side where a forest fire started just over a day ago with a 5 acre blaze suposedly from fireworks. Since yesterday it has grown to about 5,000 acres due to the Gorge winds up to 35 mph. Then this early morning ashe embers from the fire jumped the Columbia River that is about a mile wide into Washington and ignited another fire . The air quality due to smoke polution has reached the very unhealthy stage in our area , Portland, Ore., as well as the entire Willamette Valley. Several small towns have been evacuated. Schools are being closed due to heavy smoke. At 5 AM this morning our town is covered with grey ASH and the skies are overcased with SMOKE . COUGH, COOUGH , GAAAAHHHHH :barnie Edit: 6:10 am. Both highway 14 on Wahsington side of the Columbia River as well as highway 84 on the Oregon side have now been closed to interstate travel. All truckers have been advised to take alternate routs or park their trucks to wait out the fire. :caf

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Besides the loss of houses and possibly lives, the thought of all that beautiful forest in the northwest going up in flames just makes me ill.
It's hard to believe someone actually thought fireworks was a good idea in that drought.
What are people with respiratory problems doing?

There's not going to be enough of the US left for NK to bomb, if these natural disasters continue.

Latest posts