insect stinging my zucchi, cucumbers & tomato - PICS

opihiman911

Sprout
Reaction score
Many of you may know me from the other side of this board...you know the chicken place :)

I have something stinging and laying eggs in my vegis. They will leave a little brown scab where they sting it. When I cut them open there is little white/tan pin worms in it.
I plucked all the stung ones and let some new one bloom and covered them with a paper sack, but the **!@*!!@ bugs got to them anyways. And now they are going after my cucumbers and tomatoes!! I finally was catch what was stinginging it and was wondering if anyone knew what it is how to kill it....naturally if can.
I have just started growing my garden organically and as chemical free as possible. Its been a challange but its getting better results and easier to do.
Any other good site for natural garden growing? I hope to see this site grow and get the wealth of knowledge the way it sister site did. I know I'll be sticking around here.

Aloha,
Cory

bug2.jpg

bug1.jpg

bug3.jpg

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry I can't tell you which flying insect that is doing your damage, but I can tell you that companion planting has helped me alot in the past, and so has encouraging toads and bringing in parasitic wasps. Which reminds me I need to find a new source now that I have moved.... Toads I have lots of naturally I just need to make them at home, like wood bits they can get under for the heat of the day.

Basically what your discribing is a borer and many insects do that. I wish I could say I was that familiar with Hawaii's insects but sadly I'm just a Canadian gardner who still has 2 feet of snow on the ground. :( Wow you are sooooo far ahead of me I'll never catch up!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Cory-
I think April has the right idea. Is there a nursery in your area that you can show the bugs to? Maybe they know of something you can companion plant to keep those bugs away.

opihiman911

Sprout
Reaction score
No real nurseries around here, but I do plan on taking the bug into the UH ag station in town whenever I get in there. If it dies in the jar I will mount it on clear tape to try and preserve it for ID.
We have many of the same bugs as warm southern climates have. Onluy our are year around and we don't have freezes that help kill and control them.
Used to know a professional bug guy who did research for UH, but he has since moved away.

Cory

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had something simmalir to that bug but were smaller and mostly attacked my peas. the problem was that the pods had roted wich attracted the bugs.

Jakenhoss

Sprout
Reaction score
Cory,

I had something similar to that and I used insecticidal soap to help slow them down. They are in the sucker family. I never found anything that got rid of them completely. :hu They would mainly attack my squash.

I would take it to a nearby nursery or an agu station as you mentioned. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help, but I will do some investigating to see what I can find out.

Jakenhoss

Latest posts