Intentionally growing black cherry trees anybody?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the fruit. Black cherry yogurt, ice cream, jelly/jam, in cobbler doesn't matter. Ducks post on her cherry tree has my wheels turning. Michigan produces TONS cherries but I'm really struggling to find anything on black cherries.

I know they can be a weed tree wondering if there is more of a commercial option? More tame, more along the lines of the cherry trees grown now for food? Even if it's a really dark variety used now for "black cherries" I'm open to ideas. Im having a hard time believing that wild black cherries are being used to produce fruit to meet market demands. I know it's not a super popular flavor but still nobody has tamed it and improved on the wild stock?

Only thing I could find were wild black cherry trees so thought to ask.

Thank you

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet the black cherry flavoring is all artificial. I don't recall ever seeing a black cherry tree or one for sale.
But I do love the flavor, too. Black cherry ice cream is the best!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:caf I give anything to grow cherry trees

We have quite a few of what I think are wild black cherry trees in our backyard. Either that or chokecherry (I always assumed them to be chokecherries since that is what I was always told they were. But since according to Wikipedia chokecherry trees top out at about 16 ft many of our seem too BIG to be them)

If that is what it is, I imagine you have the same nearby (they are hardly uncommon trees) Basically those trees with the little round black "berries" the birds eat and then crap out on our cars are black cherry I think.

BTW does anyone know if the ripe fruit of weeping cherries is edible?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if anyone wants a few black cherry trees i have plenty to give! along with some crab apple trees! as much as i've been trying to eradicate some trees from the yard those 2 types are coming up wild along with black locust trees.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've done the black locust trees at my old property I'm good thank you.

I bet the black cherry flavoring is all artificial. I don't recall ever seeing a black cherry tree or one for sale.
But I do love the flavor, too. Black cherry ice cream is the best!

Figures...was worth exploring.

Latest posts