~INTERESTING WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT RYE BREAD~

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have just read this interesting article on rye bread.

http://www.herbcompanion.com/herbal-living/make-rye-bread-for-natural-appetite-control.aspx

I think it's time for me to go back to making my own. Where I live in the country it is nearly impossible for me to buy a dark rye loaf with caraway seeds, my favorite. I like making bread & now I have found my chunky kitchen table (it was at the bottom of a pile of boxes filled with books in my barn) I can start again & reap the benefits. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm going to tell my mom about this. Thank you Hattie! I saved it to my Favorites :)!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, interesting... Come to think of it, rye bread does not go well with peanut butter and jelly either! That will save a few calories right there. :p

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rye bread sounds interesting i've never tried making it as i can't get rye flour in my grocery store, i have to look around for it.
Thanks Hattie for this link! ;)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting. I LOVE a dark rye, but I haven't been able to get a decent loaf when I make it myself. I'm going to have to buy some new flour & try again.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have always found it needs to be wetter than usual bread mixes & it needs much longer to rise. That's why sour-dough recipes work so much better -- they taste better too. I used to make a largish batch & freeze most of it. I'll try to find a good recipe -- I know you have to have a percentage of ordinary wheat flour. Well I did anyway. :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

http://www.danlepard.com/features/2010/01/63/starting-sourdough-3/

I have just found this recipe for a sour-dough part-rye loaf bread I think I will start with this & freeze some other starter balls to experiment with. I'm very interested in his method as he seems to cook it in an oven-proof covered dish inside the oven. Now that rings a bell with me as I remember a friend of mine in Norway telling me about his experiments with baking dark rye bread. Maybe I will email him for his method. He was the person who finally taught me to make good bread (after years of very solid bricks)....!!! :lol:

Edited later to add this recipe for a dark German Caraway Rye loaf:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513081

If you try this remember its a UK recipe so you might want to convert them.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have experimented with sour dough and the rye is the easy to get good results with. I love it, my kids are not big fans. I have found that even if I am making a white or wheat bread that if I use a rye starter that it proofs very nicely while the others ... not so much. I am an amateurr though so it might be me.

Latest posts