Irrigation Pump and Set Up Ideas from a Pond?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've thought through many irrigation ideas. Maybe a timer on our hose from the house... but that would mean hoses laying all over the lawn all the time, and its county water so just imagine my bill $$$$. Also thought about the rain barrels, but I have no roof within distance, and I would have to bury a lot of hoses and PVC throughout the yard, and they would compete with where our septic lines are run. My neighbor decided to dig a well by his garden and that is all well and good for the $$$ if you are willing to spend that on digging a well.

Anyways, like a dope I totally didn't even think... we have a pond!!! And we own a good portion of it on our property. 8 houses in our division own a piece of a 2+ acre pond.... we own the cove and then over into the woods. Well why can't we buy a pump and bury lines from the pond to hook up to a drip system to all our gardens?! We could bury the lines shallow couldn't we? What would be the proper pump to buy for something like that? A small above ground or in pond well pump? I saw an array of pumps at Tractor Supply Co and they ranged from $100-$500. What would be a good size to set up a drip system to 4-5 main garden beds?

What kind of lines would I need to run underground, and what would I use to line my beds to make sure they get enough? Drip ok or a sprinkler system?

I really want to go with this idea as we can mount something on the dock we're building and better yet, I'll save a bunch of money on my water bill!!!!

So site links would help, or anyone with experience that would be great!!!! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So no one has an idea on how to set this up, and what kind of pump I need? Or what the costs should be?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you have some pics of the pond and where you are thinking of putting the garden?

Also, what are your laws/regulations/covenants on water use?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, the pond is HUGE. Each individual has the right to do as they want with the pond who own a piece of the property. We own a piece of it, so I don't think I couldn't use it. We have neighbor's with docks and we're not the only ones with ducks out there using it... so their shouldn't be an issue. No HOA in this neighborhood. We're also outside city limits and that gives us the right to not have to listen to the in town ordinances that have been passed (I get to have my chickens and a rooster!)

We are planning on building a dock ourselves, and I would like something I can mount onto the dock.

Our gardens are already up and running all over the yard. In fact, we just planted an orchard in the back with 6 trees and 2 more to come. One garden is about 200 ft away from the pond, another is 100ft, another is over 300ft... I am putting in a small 3 teir raised bed garden next to the pond only 12ft away.

I want to route it all over the place. :D

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A good first step might be to determine exactly how far you will have to move the water, both horizontally and vertically. That will help you determine what size pump you need to use. No need to get a $500.00 pump if the $100.00 will get the job done.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Because drip or soaker systems typically require lowish but reliable pressure, you may want to consider a system using a pressure tank (maybe an old one from someone's well pump setup) that is fed on demand by a pump from the pond? With a GOOD, EASILY CLEANED sediment filter before it, I would think.

You would size the pump according to the height and distance that the water must be drawn - an actual plumber or such could tell you what demand requires what size pump.

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts