Is Acid A Food Preservative ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
In order to drink more water I have been adding cut up lemons. When the water in my bottle gets low I just add more. I go about 2 days with the same cut up lemons, no refrigeration. Somewhere in back of my mind is acid from lemon preserve it. The lemons look fine no browning, am I setting my self up to get sick not keeping water in fridge ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
R u sick? There is your answer.

Personally, I'd be more concerned WHERE the lemons came from. IF NOT the USA, no telling what chems are in the peelings.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt if you are changing the pH much just adding the lemons to the water.

They do decay, of course.

Lemons, limes ... & we eat so many oranges at this time of year, I will make the compost almost "reek" of citrus during the first few weeks of the growing season.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lemons are supposed to be really good for your digestion, using them like you are.
I wouldn't think two days would be bad.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the pH of that drink is below 4.2 you are well protected against botulism. 4.2 is the magic limit for botulism, below 4.2 botulism won't reproduce. That's why you can water bath can some things but need to pressure can others.

I'm not an expert on bacteria. Some bacteria are beneficial, some harmful, a lot are neutral. I'd still think the by-products of even the beneficial or neutral neutral ones could upset your digestive system if you ingest them. I'd think the lower the pH (more acidic) that drink is the better you would be protected, but other than botulism I don't know what that pH is.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they are from anywhere but USA grown, can't scrub out the bad. It's imbedded in skin.