Is It A Age Thing ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am very casual at work almost everyone calls me by my first name. I noticed more and more new people calling me by my last name, also got called a few sirs. Have I reach the older people age :hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hitor are people getting more formal ?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
It gives me hee bee jee bees when my Mother's friends, whom I've know since the mid 70's ask me to call them by their first name. They always have and will be "Mrs. X". Drive me nuts when kids call adults by their given name. What happened to respect for elders, like you? I like it, Nyboy.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are hiring college graduates. Training and doing good things exposing them to the real world. Then one day, I realize these kids are younger than mine.

Yes, sir. No, sir. Three bags full...

I prefer the "yes, sir" to the "yo, dude!" or "hey! Buddy!" I was also told by the new secretary that I looked like a grumpy, old guy. Hurrump! Can you believe that? I've only got 2 grandkids, by marriage. She is a LOT older than me!

Then BOTH the daughters announced their engagements with in the last 6 months.

It sneaks up on you. Just nod and pretend that you intended it to happen. Graciously.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you could say it is a respect thing. if someone younger than you was taught to call anyone that seemed to be your 'senior' in age or knowledge 'sir/madam' it is mostly a sign of respect. it is somewhat nice to see this hasn't gone on the wayside. i would just politely correct them on how you would like to be called.

it used to throw me for a loop when someone would do this to me at customer service. i mostly found it to be people from the south that still called me ma'am or Ms.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Silver is the new black. I'm sure you are stunning!

I prefer all natural. No artificial dyes or flavors. LOL. I don't like hair cuts, so I can't imagine sitting in a chair for an hour for a dye job.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might be time to do something about my silver hair.
Let it go silver that what I am doing. I have had whitewalls since my early 30s. Now the gray has invaded my entire head and most of my beard. I have been hearing people calling me sir for a long time, I just let it roll off. DW was shocked when folks started calling her ma’am instead of miss lol. I just said welcome to the future.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Might be time to do something about my silver hair.
You can change that--I do. Having survived teaching in the PS system (only 2 years), I will take ANY respect from someone younger than me. It is lacking uniformly in our culture today. Funny, DH has always referred to me to our kids by my first name (also, "duck",) but my DD's introduce me to others as their mom, NOT by my first name. Respect cuts both ways. I don't believe in teasing animals and I don't demean my DD's in front of anybody. Humor must be between intimates or else it is crass, and that happens too often today. It is more of a behavior than verbal.

Latest posts