Is it a skunk digging up my tree's?

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We just planted some little fruit tree's.
Peach, pear, apricot....

For the past couple of days, something is digging down to the root area and really getting on my nerves, I don't know how much damage has been done, I keep having to cover up the roots again. I've put branches and logs etc. around the base, and the booger got in again!

I covered up again today and re-arranged all the logs and such in an effort to prevent the digging up again tonight.

I really need this to stop!

Any tips or idea's on what it is?

I've smelled skunk around the last few nights, we do have raccoons around as well - I have a trap but if I catch a skunk what on EARTH do I do with it!??

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Peach, pear, apricot....

For the past couple of days, something is digging down to the root area and really getting on my nerves, I don't know how much damage has been done, I keep having to cover up the roots again. I've put branches and logs etc. around the base, and the booger got in again!

I covered up again today and re-arranged all the logs and such in an effort to prevent the digging up again tonight.

I've smelled skunk around the last few nights, we do have raccoons around as well - I have a trap but if I catch a skunk what on EARTH do I do with it!??
Skunks dig around for grubs and such but it sounds more like an armadillo problem.....if there are any that far north.
If you do catch a skunk in a live trap....cover it, con someone into carrying it to a pond and drowning it....while you stay at the garden.:lol:

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Wildsky said:
Peach, pear, apricot....

Skunks dig around for grubs and such but it sounds more like an armadillo problem.....if there are any that far north.
If you do catch a skunk in a live trap....cover it, con someone into carrying it to a pond and drowning it....while you stay at the garden.:lol:
Gosh, never heard of armadillo's around here.

I can shoot the darn skunk in the trap - but then what - Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :gig

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love this Cajun skunk video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9wXiHs_9b0&feature=related

Seriously if you get a skunk in a live trap keep all dogs away and cover the trap with an old blanket or tarp. Speak to it in a calm voice and pick the trap up gently. Take it where you want to release it (preferably across a river or large stream from where you caught it) This helps keep it from finding it's way home. A covered skunk will hold its fire. It doesn't want to skunk itself. Surprisingly skunks seem to like humans.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wildsky, I'm surprised you didn't see Mike release a skunk on Dirtiest Jobs. The urban trapper he was working with told Mike that about half the skunks spray when you approach them with a tarp to cover the trap. Of course Mike got sprayed. Who knows how many times he approached that trap to get the shot right?

I have not caught a skunk yet, just raccoon, possum, and once a feral cat. I hope Hoodat is right if I ever do though. I wired my live trap to a board to stabilize it. Then I made a box that sets over the trap so that the only opening is at the door to the trap. The only way a critter can get to the bait is to walk in the front door. So if I ever do catch a skunk, it will already be totally enclosed in a box. I will admit the heart beats a little fast when you know you have something and you have to slide that box back a bit to see what you have.

I don't know what would be digging up your trees. It does not sound like an armadillo or a skunk to me. The armadillos here dig small holes maybe a couple of inches deep looking for grubs. I'd expect skunks to do about the same thing. Are you sure it is not a pesky dog? Sounds like something my pound poopies would do.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Or, do you have free ranging chickens at work? I have a pulley attached to a tree limb with a rope attached to the end of my don't Havahart and other end extended a little ways out secured to a tree. Beside the trap, directly under the pulley is a large filled rainbarrell. I'm baiting with old eggs. So far 2 possums and 1 coon. Accidentally scared off 1 skulking hooded skunk (shouldn't go out there at night). I was counting on the info. I read being right about them not being able to spray if they can't lift their tail (due to trap height). Don't know how far away I can stand and still pull the rope up with a heavy animal. I didn't worry about proximity with the coon and possums. My friend fed, then released one from the trap last yr. thinking it was one of the black fox squirrels we used to have here (didn't watch enough Nat. Geographic as a kid). Didn't spray. They don't unless they feel they have too. Like a snake that doesn't want to use up it's venom. My neighbor shot 8 this winter in daylight with shotgun.Said he didn't get sprayed, but leaves them quite a while before disposing. I would think that if you shot one in the trap, it would mess up your trap.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
elf said:
Or, do you have free ranging chickens at work?
I do indeed have free range chickens, and guineas - I'm keeping an eye open today...

Something dug up two of my new Burning bushes as well... I think that was rabbits by the look of it.

I'm getting REALLY angry about all this digging up right behind me. :he

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Could be any number of critters. The skunks here dig huge holes under my barn walls to get in. I wouldn't put it past them. But my chickens keep all my flowers barerooted. I'm trying big hunks of broken pottery around them which looks hideous but sort of helps. Where I planted raspberries and muscadines around fence I propped old bicycle wheels and stuff. That looks awfull also but has worked. You might have to do something like that until the trees get old enough to stand a little abuse. Maybe you'll think of something that actually looks nice but is heavy. Perhaps chickenwire scraps weighted down. Of course, it's more trouble/expense, but you may have to temp. cage the trees, and that would help with future deer/rabbit gnawing as well.

Latest posts