Is there a Tree Guide?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are no plans for a new tree in my yard but I am not comfortable with my lack of knowledge as I travel around the neighborhood.

Native trees, I'm comfortable with but there are so many trees residents and communities have planted! What are they?? Usually, I have no idea!

A local community has a list of recommended trees. There are over 75 described! Nothing to identify them other than outlined shape, description of fall foliage ...

It would be helpful if there was information on leaf shape, a picture of flowers, etc. Anything online like this? A book in the library? Wouldn't it be nice if I could recognise the trees in my neighborhood by the time they begin to leaf out next spring?

Steve :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're talking about non-native species. That could be rough. I think I'd chat with your extension office and see if they can come up with something. Doe Arbor Day have something on their website?

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We bought the complete set of field guides from the National Audubon Society about 30 years ago that we still use extensively.

If you're interested, you can get individual 'region specific' ones from Amazon:

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Western Region

41BFF1G5F4L._SX247_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love trees!!!! Must have planted at least 40. My favorite are fruit trees, I love there spring flower display. 2 trees that always fail for me are dogwood and cherry. I will keep trying hoping to find that spot one will take in.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soon, I will have only the shape and bark to identify those trees!

I'm going for an academic knowledge of the landscape trees, gained from sitting in the South Window over the next 6 months.

Oh hey, I have The Sibley Guide to Trees from library as of this afternoon. I have no real idea if it has what I am looking for but it has better pictures than the Peterson Guide ;).

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may have to make friends with an arborist or landscaper to get an idea what kind of non-native trees are planted in your area.
I just don't see that many non-native ornamental trees around here....maybe just because I'm not looking for them. Perhaps if I were invited to more wealthy folks' outdoor parties, I would see some trees that had been deliberately planted, rather than just those that the bulldozer accidentally missed.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sibleys is a good reference book Steve, I used to have a copy and looked for it, but it must have been included in my book downsizing... :(

I think the best way to learn to identify trees is to go to an arboretum.
There is a small local one in CDA and I think it would a fun outing, and a pleasant stroll looking at trees up close. Also a good time to see which ones have nice fall color for future reference.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I enjoy arboretums and botanical gardens.
I can't remember which book I was reading, -maybe The Sixth Extinction (?), but I was surprised to learn how many of the native plants in our region (things like burdock) are not native at all.

When I see a non-native flowering tree that I'm trying to figure out the name, I sometimes check around at a local greenhouse, although I realize people buy plants online more and more.

Latest posts